website statistics

Ski Jumping at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2023

Totallympics

5 hours ago, NearPup said:

Not bad for a team that has no funding, practice facilities or anywhere for kids to learn the sport.

I thought the Whistler hills were still mildly active?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I thought the Whistler hills were still mildly active?

It isn’t somewhere where novice jumpers can practice. It can be used as a practice facility for elite jumpers, but that doesn’t help at all for the grassroots.

Yes, as NearPup points out, Whistler is basically only for elite jumpers with two hills K-95 and K-125. Those are not hills for pre-high school teenagers, beginners, semi-pro or whatever you call it.

For comparison the 'Middle Krokiew' complex in Zakopane has five hills (K-95, K-64, K-37, K-23 and K-15). K-64 is for 15-16 year olds, K-37 is more for 13-14 year olds and the last two are for little kids. Poland has four K-64-ish hills and twelve K-37-ish hills in operation right now.

I just assumed Whistler had beginner hills since Salt Lake and Lake Placid have put them in (and many smaller local clubs around the US).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

It is good Zajc and Domen Prevc are on such level not everything is on Lanišek.

Main threat should come from Poles and Austrians, but at least 10-15 jumpers could win today.

Hope conditions will be fair.