website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2023

11 minutes ago, Cobi said:

The link between Pamplona and bulls dates back to the 14th century when the first bullfights were held during the city's patron saint festival, San Fermín. The festival became famous thanks to the novel "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway, which described the running of the bulls through the streets of Pamplona. During the San Fermín festival, which takes place in July, bulls are released into the streets and run alongside daring participants.

Looks super fun :d

I see Chuck Norris participated this year as well, the only one ever who actually chased the bulls :p

image.png

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Looks super fun :d

I see Chuck Norris participated this year as well, the only one ever who actually chased the bulls :p

image.png

For me it seems quite dangerous and I wouldn't do it, but according to my dad who ran once when he was young it was a "thrilling" experience. :lol:

3 hours ago, Cobi said:

For me it seems quite dangerous and I wouldn't do it, but according to my dad who ran once when he was young it was a "thrilling" experience. :lol:

Personally I always find it funny to see when the bulls actually manage to catch some people here and there :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, Cobi said:

TISC2023.png 

PAMPLONA BULLS

Pamplona is a Spanish city located in the autonomous community of Navarre. It has a long history dating back to Roman times when it was known as Pompaelo. During the Middle Ages, Pamplona was an important commercial and cultural center, and the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre.

The link between Pamplona and bulls dates back to the 14th century when the first bullfights were held during the city's patron saint festival, San Fermín. The festival became famous thanks to the novel "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway, which described the running of the bulls through the streets of Pamplona. During the San Fermín festival, which takes place in July, bulls are released into the streets and run alongside daring participants.

When visiting Pamplona you have to go to:

• Plaza del Castillo: This is the main square of the city, surrounded by historic buildings and lively cafés.

TISC2023.png

• Cathedral of Santa Maria: This Gothic cathedral dates back to the 14th century and is located in the heart of the old town.
  • Citadel of Pamplona: A 16th-century fortress located in the center of the city, built to defend against French invasions.
  • Plaza de Toros de Pamplona: This is Pamplona's bullring, which hosts bullfights during the San Fermín festival.
  • The Walls of Pamplona: These ancient walls date back to the medieval period and surround the old town of Pamplona.

TISC2023.png

TYPICAL FOOD - LOS PINTXOS:

Pintxos are small snacks or appetizers that are a popular culinary tradition in the Basque Country, including Pamplona. The city has a lively pintxos scene, with numerous bars and restaurants serving up a variety of delicious pintxos.

Some of the most popular pintxos in Pamplona include:

• Gilda: This pintxo consists of a skewer with olives, anchovies, and pickled peppers.
  • Tortilla de patatas: A classic Spanish dish, this pintxo features a thick potato omelet cut into small squares.
  • Croquetas: These are small fried balls made with a béchamel sauce and various fillings, such as ham or seafood.
  • Txistorra: This is a type of Basque sausage often served grilled or sliced as a pintxo.
  • Bacalao: Salt cod is a popular ingredient in many Basque dishes, including pintxos, often served with garlic or tomato sauce.

In Pamplona, pintxos are often enjoyed with a glass of local wine or cider, making for a delicious and authentic culinary experience.

TISC2023.png

MEMBERS OF THE TEAM:

Man this stuff is incredibly useful, in June I’m gonna go on a vuelta around all regions so this sights and food hints are like gold to me! 

great work! 

2 hours ago, ManuCHIL said:

@Cobi

Hi...yes I need to swap xD!!! please after 9am my local time would be nice 

Sure! Since India is in your team and their voting time is quite late you can swap with them, which means that :IND will vote in 7th place (14:42 in New Delhi) and :CHI in 36th place (16:42 in Santiago).

As long as @Fly_like_a_don is ok with that, of course.

TISC2023.png 

TOLEDO EAGLES

Toledo is a historic city in central Spain, located on a rocky hill overlooking the Tagus River. It has been inhabited since Roman times and has a rich cultural and architectural heritage that reflects its diverse history.

TISC2023.png

During the Visigothic period, Toledo was the capital of the Kingdom of the Visigoths and an important cultural and religious center. In the 8th century, it was conquered by the Moors and became a center of Muslim culture and learning.

In 1085, Toledo was captured by King Alfonso VI of Castile, and it became a Christian city once again. Over the centuries, it became an important political, religious, and cultural center, with a thriving Jewish community and a flourishing arts scene.

Toledo is known for its stunning architecture, including:

• The Alcázar: A fortress that has been used as a palace, a military academy, and a museum.
  • Cathedral of Toledo: A Gothic masterpiece that is one of the most important religious buildings in Spain
  • Puente de San Martín: A medieval bridge that spans the Tagus River.

Toledo is also famous for its artistic heritage, particularly its production of damascene metalwork, which involves inlaying gold and silver into iron or steel to create intricate designs. The city's museums and galleries showcase the work of both local and international artists, and the streets are lined with workshops and boutiques selling everything from ceramics to textiles.

Today, Toledo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular tourist destination

TYPICAL FOOD:

Toledo is famous for its traditional cuisine, which features a blend of influences from Christian, Jewish, and Muslim cultures. Here are some typical dishes you might find in Toledo:

• Carcamusas: This is a stew made with pork, tomatoes, onions, and white wine. It is typically served with potatoes or bread.
  • Migas: This is a dish made with bread crumbs, garlic, and olive oil. It is usually served with chorizo, bacon, or other meats.
  • Duelos y quebrantos: This is a dish made with eggs, chorizo, and bacon. It is often served for breakfast or brunch.
  • Mazapán: This is a sweet almond paste that is shaped into various figures and sold in many of the bakeries and candy shops in Toledo. It is a popular souvenir for visitors to the city.
  • Queso Manchego: This is a cheese made from sheep's milk in the La Mancha region of Spain, which includes Toledo. It is a staple in Spanish cuisine and is often served as an appetizer or with bread and wine.
  • Pisto Manchego: This is a dish made with sautéed vegetables, such as eggplant, zucchini, and peppers, in a tomato sauce. It is similar to ratatouille and is often served as a side dish or with bread.

These are just a few examples of the delicious food that you can try in Toledo, which offers a rich culinary heritage and plenty of options for foodies.

TISC2023.png

MEMBERS OF THE TEAM:

Edited by Cobi

1 hour ago, Cobi said:

By the way, :GBR offered to swap voting times in case :BRA is interested @vinipereira @titicow

I think the current time slot is okay :p

Spoiler

but if it's better for :GBR to swap, I'm happy with any time slot :yes

Edited by vinipereira

Don't forget that during the next week we will have the Festival of Music, where you can share music of non-participating countries. The first song I want to present this year is from...

:GUA GUATEMALA :GUA

Leiva, Gaby Moreno - Con El Pañuelo En Los Ojos

The song is a collab between Spanish singer Leiva and Gaby Moreno, the most famous female singer from Guatemala.

I remember picking Guatemala in the Special Edition we did a couple of years ago and eventhough I ended up chosing a song from Ricardo Arjona, I also discovered 5 or 6 artists from this country that were completely new for me; so I was surprised when I heard that Gaby was doing a song with Leiva and I think this is a good moment to share it with you.