website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2023

2nd listening in, dropped additional two songs, not at all closer to having a satisfying conclusion, might be my longest deliberation if things don't start falling into place soon :p 

I don't yet know what separates my 6th from my 16th, those that are in 17th to 21st might get dropped just because of the sheer quality in this year's edition. 

It's amazing what audio engineering can do these days to songs that might otherwise lack some spark. 

During the Voting Windows I will present you some traditional dances/music styles from different parts of the country. I hope you like it! 

Sevillanas

"Sevillana" is a type of folk dance originating from Sevilla. It is characterized by its flamenco-style footwork and is often performed during celebrations, festivals, and other social events in Andalusia, the southern region of Spain.

The sevillana is usually performed by couples and is known for its lively rhythm and upbeat music, making it a popular dance choice for parties and other festive occasions such as Ferias. It is typically accompanied by castanets, guitars, and other traditional Spanish instruments.

The sevillana is considered an important part of the cultural heritage of Andalusia and is recognized as one of the most iconic and recognizable forms of Spanish dance.

Jota

"Jota" is a traditional folk dance and music style originating from Spain. It is widely performed in many regions of Spain, particularly in the north and northeast, and is known for its lively, upbeat rhythm and distinctive musical style.

The jota is usually performed by couples, who dance in a fast and energetic manner to the accompaniment of castanets, guitars, and other traditional instruments. The dance is characterized by its quick footwork, leaping and stamping, and twirling movements.

The origins of the jota are not well-known, but it is thought to have developed from a combination of ancient Celtic, Arabic, and Spanish musical and dance traditions. Today, the jota remains a popular folk dance in Spain, and is performed at a variety of social and cultural events, including weddings, festivals, and other celebrations.

During the weekend, :KAZ became the first country to vote. Remember, we still have more than a week before the deadline!

Meanwhile, let's continue with our posts of traditional music styles of Spain. 

Muñeira

"Muñeira" is a traditional folk dance and music style from Galicia, a region in northwest Spain. It is one of the most important cultural elements of the Galician people and is characterized by its upbeat rhythm and lively style.

The muñeira is usually performed by couples, who dance in a lively, energetic manner to the accompaniment of Galician bagpipes (gaita), flutes, and other traditional instruments. The dance is characterized by its quick footwork, stamping, and twirling movements, as well as its intricate hand gestures and turns.

The muñeira is considered an important part of Galician culture and is often performed at cultural events, festivals, and other social gatherings. It is a symbol of the region's rich musical heritage and is recognized as one of the most iconic and recognizable forms of Spanish dance.

4 hours ago, Cobi said:

Remember, we still have more than a week before the deadline!

Already on my third complete listening, as I’m able to identify each song with its country and make some individual notes.

Ranking will start tomorrow, then a couple of cuts/rearrangements and votes will be sent Monday/Tuesday next week.

Honestly, big part of us says that the level of chosen songs is great and hard to separate in our voting every year.... but situation of voting in TAISC 2023 is the toughest I would have ever imagined :) Is it only my feelings?

So, great choise of songs, literally! :) 

Edited by Hipooo

Sardana

A sardana is a traditional folk dance originating from Catalonia, a region in northeastern Spain. It is typically performed in a circle, with dancers linking arms and performing coordinated steps in time with the music. Sardanas are typically performed to the accompaniment of a cobla, a type of Catalan wind orchestra, and are often accompanied by singing. The sardana is considered an important part of Catalan cultural heritage and is a symbol of national identity. It is typically performed at celebrations and festivals, and is considered a joyful and celebratory dance that brings people together.