website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2023

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Historically, it has always been top 10. 

But with a certain amount of points, I believe. Like a double criterion. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Great to see @brunamoura back in action, I know I'm not the only one in the forum cheering for her.

Also good to see Mexico decided to send some competitors in Cross Country, hoping some of them get decent results, although I'm not expecting them to qualify. 

4 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

A certain amount of points is only necessary for the Skiathlon and Mass Start. Top 10 is enough for the individual.

Good luck!

image.png

Ah too bad, so Bruna missing a year of competition already automatically makes those two events an impossibility. Oh well, considering expenses are paid by the federation only for the two qualifying races (and so staying for the team sprint of Sunday would already be expensive because we have to pay that ourselves), I don't think she'd do the 10k anyway, let alone the races even later in the program if it was even possible :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, justony said:

@heywoodu, I knew that you are together, but how did you foretell in advance, she will get BIB 1, anyway, @brunamoura, good luck today. 

Oh sorry, I misunderstood! :d 

I was checking the FIS points list a few days ago, and saw that in the most recent points list, she has no points anymore. Not 0 (that's for World Cup winners), but she wasn't in the list with any amount of points. The distance races generally start in reversed points order: worst points first, best points last. The question was where athletes with NO points would start, so I checked the start list of the qualifying 5k in Oberstdorf two years ago, and there were two no-point-athletes in the women's race there...who started before all the athletes with any amount of points.

We didn't know if there would be other no-point-athletes here of course, but it did mean that in the same rules, she'd have a big chance to have bib 1, and that's what happened :d 

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood! :d 

I was checking the FIS points list a few days ago, and saw that in the most recent points list, she has no points anymore. Not 0 (that's for World Cup winners), but she wasn't in the list with any amount of points. The distance races generally start in reversed points order: worst points first, best points last. The question was where athletes with NO points would start, so I checked the start list of the qualifying 5k in Oberstdorf two years ago, and there were two no-point-athletes in the women's race there...who started before all the athletes with any amount of points.

We didn't know if there would be other no-point-athletes here of course, but it did mean that in the same rules, she'd have a big chance to have bib 1, and that's what happened :d 

I have told this story here before.  At the Torino Olympics the very first event on the first day was the Nordic Combined Ski Jumping, which worked on the same principle, lowest number of points jumped first, up to the highest.  So the :ITA team chose 16-year old Alessandro Pittin in their team, who as a Junior obviously did not have any points at all......and he indeed did have the honour of being the very first competitor in that whole Olympics. 

Edited by Grassmarket