website statistics

GB Athletics 2023

Dragon

• 1 month later...

This is disappointing if true:

Great Britain to take smaller squads to future athletics championships | Daily Mail Online

UK Athletics has always had a somewhat controversial selection policy which has resulted in athletes missing out on places at both Olympics and World Champs but they generally had the cover of the A and B standards. It will be interesting to see how the athletes respond to this given World Athletics have moved to increase the importance of the world ranking in securing qualification.

I'd be pretty cheesed off if I had worked my ass off to build my world ranking, earn my qualification only to be told I'm not going to threaten a medal so I'm not going to be taken.

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Great Britain to take smaller squads to future athletics championships | Daily Mail Online

UK Athletics has always had a somewhat controversial selection policy which has resulted in athletes missing out on places at both Olympics and World Champs but they generally had the cover of the A and B standards. It will be interesting to see how the athletes respond to this given World Athletics have moved to increase the importance of the world ranking in securing qualification.

I'd be pretty cheesed off if I had worked my ass off to build my world ranking, earn my qualification only to be told I'm not going to threaten a medal so I'm not going to be taken.

This attitude worked well when Buckner was head of British swimming. Really not convinced if it'll have the same success in athletics

6 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Hope to god this isn't true. Athletics is a different kettle of fish to swimming. Swimming has 4 different strokes which can be easily mastered by any talented swimmer, whereas with athletics it's almost impossible for a race walker to become a top level Hammer thrower. I hope the athletes and especially brodcasters and pundits call this out for what it is.  

Good start for us in Istanbul:

W High Jump Morgan Lake qualified 8th with 1.91m. No-one reached the Q target (website says 4.65!) as only 8 were left on 1.91 andtop 8 qualified.

M 800m Guy Learmonth through. 3rd in heat (1:47.51) (2 per heat Q) but through as the fastest loser (2 fastest losers through)

W 800m Isabelle Boffey won heat (2 Q) in 2:03.24, Keely Hodgkinson also won heat in 2:01.67.

W 3000m Hannah Nuttall 3rd in heat (6 Q) in 8:53.72, Melissa Courtney-Bryant 4th in heat in 9:00.40

M 1500m George Mills 2nd in heat (3 Q) in 3:50.01, Neil Gourley won heat in 3:41.08

First medals today: W 3000m, M 1500m, W Pentathlon (Holly Mills), W 60m (Daryll Neita, Asha Philip)

Heats for W 1500m (Katie Snowden, Laura Muir, Ellie Baker), Heats and Semis for W 60m

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Good morning as well. Everyone went through their heats in W 1500m + 60m. In pentathlon Mills is currently 5th medal unlikely. Finals later start 4pm on BBC

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

• 4 weeks later...