website statistics

[Game] Guess the Record!

heywoodu

Good evening, afternoon and morning!

On another forum, someone opened a thread with a game which seemed like fun, and even more so on a forum like Totallympics, with enthousiasts from all over the world and a wide variety of sports: Guess the Record!

The rules are rather simple:

1. Someone posts a sports-related record. This may be an officially recognized world record, it may be the highest number of wins in some sport, the fastest ever goal, you get the point.

2. Others try to figure out which record it is. It doesn't have to include the owner of the record, but of course it would be fun if you know those things as well. Main thing is that you get correct which record it is.

3. The user who gets it correct first (as judged by the person who posted the record) gets a point, and can post a different record as described in point 1, preferably also updating the score table. If it takes several hours for the 'winner' to post a new record, someone else can step in and post one.

Obviously the point is to not search for it online. If you search for the record, we will most likely never know, but you will have to live with the guilt of being a cheater. The person who posted the record is free to post some hints if it takes too long, at his or her own discretion.

Game on! And to get it going, I'll start with a simple one:

9,58 seconds

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Game on! And to get it going, I'll start with a simple one:

9,58 seconds

Great idea. :yes

Easy one obviously, I remember watching it and it was amazing. Bolt in Berlin WCh 2009 WR in M 100m

However imagine that this can be the Pole Vault WR in some 250 years :d

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Great idea. :yes

Easy one obviously, I remember watching it and it was amazing. Bolt in Berlin WCh 2009 WR in M 100m

However imagine that this can be the Pole Vault WR in some 250 years :d

Would 9,58 seconds be the record for longest ever time in the air during a pole vault or something? :evil:

Kidding :p But yeah, good thing we can't look ahead that far :lol: 

You're up to come up with a new one btw!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Is that by any chance the duration of the longest ever ice hockey match? I think I remember there was a crazy game in Norway 2-3 years ago (?) with OT after OT after OT :d 

I think it broke the record of a KHL match not long before that, but I'm not entirely sure. And maybe I am totally wrong, but ice hockey is definitely the first sport I'm going to think about when you ask it :d 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is that by any chance the duration of the longest ever ice hockey match? I think I remember there was a crazy game in Norway 2-3 years ago (?) with OT after OT after OT :d 

I think it broke the record of a KHL match not long before that, but I'm not entirely sure. And maybe I am totally wrong, but ice hockey is definitely the first sport I'm going to think about when you ask it :d 

Hard to do any quiz in a Olympic forum :lol:

Yep, absolutely.

Sparta Sarpsborg - Storhamar Game 5 of :NOR National championship Quarterfinal is the longest Official Ice hockey game. The wining goal came in the 17th minute and 14th second of the 8th 20 minutes Overtime :p

The match started at 18:00 and ended at 2:32 the next morning :lol:

hckosice - 1

heywoodu - 1

Next record: 12:30.74 minutes

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

hckosice - 1

heywoodu - 1

Next record: 12:30.74 minutes

This screams men’s 10,000m speed skating, but I think the current times are half a minute lower than that…

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

This screams men’s 10,000m speed skating, but I think the current times are half a minute lower than that…

Question is: is this a submitted answer, or just thinking out loud? :mumble:

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Question is: is this a submitted answer, or just thinking out loud? :mumble:

Yes :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela