website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Maybe GOAT of the slow ass surfaces. Peak Becker or Sampras would wipe the court with him if the faster surfaces returned to the tour.

Last time i heard, peak Becker was wiping floors in some other place :p :d

Edited by Federer91

What can i say, another brilliant performance and will to win from Novak. They robbed him of the title last year with the political shenanigans, but it just fueled him even more and the emotions showed that. I have seen this over the years, people trying to peg him down, but it just adds more fire in him to  prove them wrong and what has made him so successful.

I've been a die hard Federer fan for 17 years, but there is truth in Stefanos's words after the final - Djokovic is the greatest player of this sport. Federer had the chance to be this guy, but he missed so many direct matches with Djokovic, which he should have won. I can't count the times i was so angry and had sleepless nights after many painful loses. But in the last 2-3 years, i have put it behind me and accepted, that Federer had a rival, who pushed him to the limit and beyond and learned to respect that. Novak will break the majority of his records and frankly i'm ok with that. Hope he gets to 25 and plays a few more years. 

It's crazy what a mental sport tennis is. I'm certain it's all resilience and self-believe, the technical differences are minimal between all those that are inside the top 100.   

A 35 year old has no business beating these kids yet still does again and again. The previous generation simply had such a mental edge compared to this Instagram/tiktok focused generation with short attention span.

58 minutes ago, LDOG said:

It's crazy what a mental sport tennis is. I'm certain it's all resilience and self-believe, the technical differences are minimal between all those that are inside the top 100.   

A 35 year old has no business beating these kids yet still does again and again. The previous generation simply had such a mental edge compared to this Instagram/tiktok focused generation with short attention span.

I think it's more that the Big 3 was so far ahead of everyone. Between the 2005 French Open and 2012 Wimbledon only one person outside of the Big 3 was able to win a Grand Slam. When you have that level of talent competing you have to be at the top of your game both physically and mentally which only pushed them further. Throw in the fact that sport medicine has evolved quite a bit in the last decade and they exude an aura of invincibility and it isn't surprising that the younger players are still getting tossed aside more often than not.

37 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I think it's more that the Big 3 was so far ahead of everyone. Between the 2005 French Open and 2012 Wimbledon only one person outside of the Big 3 was able to win a Grand Slam. When you have that level of talent competing you have to be at the top of your game both physically and mentally which only pushed them further. Throw in the fact that sport medicine has evolved quite a bit in the last decade and they exude an aura of invincibility and it isn't surprising that the younger players are still getting tossed aside more often than not.

Big 3 are out of this world but Murray and to a degree Wawrinka or Del Potro pushed them much more than the ones that came after.