website statistics

Supporting Small and Lesser Known Nations at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

This thread is all about throwing some good ole’ Totallympics support behind smaller and lesser known NOCs during the qualification period and Games-time competitions at the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Below you can find the suggested rules/guidelines for this thread.

What determines if a NOC is small and/or lesser known? For the purpose of this thread, we will support countries without an active user, club, or following on Totallympics. The list of NOCs eligible for universality quotas would be a good place to select your new favorite teams from. Of course, users are welcome to propose other nations they think fit the criteria as well.

How should a user choose a nation(s) to support? Users can choose two or three NOCs they’d like to support and provide updates on to start this thread. It would be nice if we could have users dedicated to following a certain NOC, so please try to avoid doubling up. Perhaps it would be wise indicate a first preference, second preference, etc. when choosing the nations you wish to support. Of course, users are welcome to support only a single NOC as well. Users could also support NOCs they feel aren’t getting enough attention still. There will be a list kept on the first post of this thread to help keep the thread organized as to which user is supporting which NOC(s). 

What should users post as a supporter of a nation? That’s mainly up to the user. Some suggestions would be some background info about your country, perhaps the history of your country at the Olympic Games, articles and other fun/interesting info about the athletes trying to qualify for or participating at the Games, updates/reminders/results for perspective/participating athletes, various multimedia (athlete/delegation social media posts, photos, etc.), and any other information of interest.

If any other issues or clarifications about the thread are needed, they’ll be added to this post.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’m bringing this thread back for Paris 2024 at the request of @rafalgorka. It wasn’t too active during Tokyo 2020, but it would be cool if we could do more with it for Paris 2024. Qualification season is ramping up, so choose some NOCs to support and keep us updated on their progress :yes

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I think this is a fantastic idea. I really want my mother’s home country and support it with updates. But I don’t speak the language(which I’m still mad at mom for) and that maybe can be a problem? What do you think? This is also the only country I want, except for obvious Sweden of course :)

6 minutes ago, Belle said:

I think this is a fantastic idea. I really want my mother’s home country and support it with updates. But I don’t speak the language(which I’m still mad at mom for) and that maybe can be a problem? What do you think? This is also the only country I want, except for obvious Sweden of course :)

Posts in the thread should still adhere to the normal language rules when posting on Totallympics, so the language barrier shouldn’t be a problem :d

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Posts in the thread should still adhere to the normal language rules when posting on Totallympics, so the language barrier shouldn’t be a problem :d

But I’m thinking it’s easier to get news about this country in its own language? 

Edited by Belle

This is a great idea! I will go with Barbados because the sweatshirt pictured here is one of my favourite pieces of clothing I have ever owned- it was sold here alongside Team Canada gear at the then-official outfitter in 2004. 

barbados.jpg