website statistics

Artistic Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

This is a complete phony discipline taking away a lot of quotas from other events... To be honest, let's throw this out and get back to 13 players per team in Water Polo, plus 10 more open swimming and another 12 per gender in diving.

Edited by mrv86

3 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

This is a complete phony discipline taking away a lot of quotas from other events... To be honest, let's throw this out and get back to 13 players per team in Water Polo, plus 10 more open swimming and another 12 per gender in diving.

Its also not gender neutral :d

Just now, intoronto said:

Its also not gender neutral :d

Exactly... as with rhythmic gymnastics, this goes against "gender-equality", that in today's "progresive, inclusive" policies seems more an attempt to be correct than to actually better the quality, field and public & economic support the women competitors deserve. In other words: less sexism and harrasment, equity in broadcast and better economic incentives & prizes

Once it goes well developed, and other gender taboos are surpassed, it will be interesting to see the mix competition in this, along with a more fair, credible score system, where everyone has a chance and not the already fixed positions that only change a little every 4 years or so.

6 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Exactly... as with rhythmic gymnastics, this goes against "gender-equality", that in today's "progresive, inclusive" policies seems more an attempt to be correct than to actually better the quality, field and public & economic support the women competitors deserve. In other words: less sexism and harrasment, equity in broadcast and better economic incentives & prizes

Once it goes well developed, and other gender taboos are surpassed, it will be interesting to see the mix competition in this, along with a more fair, credible score system, where everyone has a chance and not the already fixed positions that only change a little every 4 years or so.

Well, if there was no rhythmic gymnastics, then I'm afraid that IOC will push to change the artistic gymnastics apparatus, and I don't think anyone wants that. With RG in the program, men and women have the same number of events in gymnastics.

And with artistic swimming in the program, women actually have more events and more athletes represented in aquatics.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Well, if there was no rhythmic gymnastics, then I'm afraid that IOC will push to change the artistic gymnastics apparatus, and I don't think anyone wants that. With RG in the program, men and women have the same number of events in gymnastics.

And with artistic swimming in the program, women actually have more events and more athletes represented in aquatics.

I agree that nobody wants to see less events in men's artistic, but if already men and women get the same quota allocation, they could add a couple of new events in women's artistic program; but I think the next move will be to include that ridiculous parkour event FIG is promoting.

29 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, thanks to this, artistic swimming has a lot of Bjoern Kircheisens. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huang_Xuechen

She is the one I meant mostly :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

That doesn't sound very gender-equal though, or does that only work one way? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I agree that nobody wants to see less events in men's artistic, but if already men and women get the same quota allocation, they could add a couple of new events in women's artistic program; but I think the next move will be to include that ridiculous parkour event FIG is promoting.

Didn't you know most kids around the world nowadays are spending half their free time doing parkour? It's pretty much tied with skateboarding for the number one free time activity among the world's youth.

:p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Didn't you know most kids around the world nowadays are spending half their free time doing parkour? It's pretty much tied with skateboarding for the number one free time activity among the world's youth.

:p 

Oh I'm not against parkour as an activity or even it's inclusion in the program one day (I'm concerned about the lack of understanding of what trespassing is, but that's a pure legal matter) but FIG's parkour is a joke.