website statistics

Totallympics Awards 2022

vinipereira

i'm more surprised by some missing quotations, rather than by the legitimate choices, especially in non performance-related sports.

For example, no one other quota for VanDerFlyer, best rugby player 2022, in a small country, Ireland, #1 in world ranking, above Fra, Eng, NZ.

Don't see name of Wembanyama, a shock player that will change the game.

And overall, only another quotation for Tita/Banti: what more than wins every championship, every single race, every side, in a sport like sailing? Sailing is not athletic, or swimming, or rowing, when usually one, stronger, wins. Sailing is tactic, is brain, is phisical also, but is impossible win in this way.

PS for me, Ben Ainsle is one of 5 best sporstman everytime, with Phelps, Jordan, Bolt, Merkx. No doubt.

Edited by Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

30 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

i'm more surprised by some missing quotations, rather than by the legitimate choices, especially in non performance-related sports.

For example, no one other quota for VanDerFlyer, best rugby player 2022, in a small country, Ireland, #1 in world ranking, above Fra, Eng, NZ.

because it was a political vote, Dupont is a way better (and more decisive) player...moreover, only some complicated math keeps IRL ahead of FRA in the WR (at the moment clearly the best rugby Union team in the world). :p

32 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

he's only bullying some French league players right now.

he's more of a mediatic phenomenon...and his managers are trying all they can to keep him away from any serious challenge to keep the hype as high as they can before the next Draft.

I'd really like to see him in a top tier Euroleague team...I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be that decisive even at that level.

and if I were a NBA GM, I'd be really scary to pick him as the 1st overall pick, because he could become a superstar as much as being the next Bargnani.

with his body, I don't think he will succeed for many years in the NBA, if he can succeed at all.

in any case, there's no chance he can even get close to people like Jokic, Doncic, Steph or LeFlop (AKA LeBron).

I rather see him as a man that can be dominant once every while, but spending most of the time in the Injury List.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

because it was a political vote, Dupont is a way better (and more decisive) player...moreover, only some complicated math keeps IRL ahead of FRA in the WR (at the moment clearly the best rugby Union team in the world). :p

he's only bullying some French league players right now.

he's more of a mediatic phenomenon...and his managers are trying all they can to keep him away from any serious challenge to keep the hype as high as they can before the next Draft.

I'd really like to see him in a top tier Euroleague team...I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be that decisive even at that level.

and if I were a NBA GM, I'd be really scary to pick him as the 1st overall pick, because he could become a superstar as much as being the next Bargnani.

with his body, I don't think he will succeed for many years in the NBA, if he can succeed at all.

in any case, there's no chance he can even get close to people like Jokic, Doncic, Steph or LeFlop (AKA LeBron).

I rather see him as a man that can be dominant once every while, but spending most of the time in the Injury List.

I would be partially agree with Wemba- for me is in the 6th position of youngs, i'm not so definitive like you, ok for now don t get close to people like Doncic, Jokic, etc but is not so weak. For me, he will be a good player, sure n.1 pick, and then we weel seen. And on Bargnani we can speak for hours, he was a great player with poor attitude (he simply don't like basketball) but he was picked n.1 at 21, Wemba 2 years before. And after all we are talking about best 2004up, i have seen some choices...

More doubt on VDFlyer, have you seen autumn's tests? Is not a scandal to put Dupont above VDF, is a scandal don't insert VDF in top 6.

Remains Tita/Banti. No doubt on them. What more?

Edited by Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

@Giovanni Gianni CattaneoI don't think many people watch rugby that much to begin with. And the Wembanyana hype, well, after the Zion hype everyone just doesn't take much from the high school/college hype anymore. Way too many total busts in the NBA draft in the last few years to get excited before he actually enters the league.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

@Giovanni Gianni CattaneoI don't think many people watch rugby that much to begin with. And the Wembanyana hype, well, after the Zion hype everyone just doesn't take much from the high school/college hype anymore. Way too many total busts in the NBA draft in the last few years to get excited before he actually enters the league.

Dupont is not hugely known outside Britain, Ireland, France and Italy although personally I think he's a massive talent and one of the best sportsmen to emerge in Europe for a couple of decades 

@vinipereira here’s the other categories I’d like to cast votes in for the first round.

BEST NON-OLYMPIC ATHLETE

for athletes in Non-Olympic sports

#1: Paola Longoria (Racquetball) :MEX 

#2: Max Verstappen (Motorsport) :NED

#3: Shannon O'Keefe (Bowling) :USA

#4: Ouk Sreymom (Boules) :CAM

BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR

for the most improved athlete or team (including Olympic, Paralympic and Non-Olympic sports)

#1: Bart Swings :BEL

#2: Remco Evenepoel :BEL

#3: Carlos Alcaraz :ESP

#4: Mixed Doubles Curling Team :ITA

#5: David Popovici :ROU

#6: Urša Bogataj :SLO

SPORT MOMENT OF THE YEAR

for any sport moment from 2022 (including Olympic, Paralympic and Non-Olympic sports)

#1: Argentina win the FIFA World Cup.

#2: Sydney McLaughlin sets a new 400m hurdles world record to win the world championships.

#3: Abdelrahman El-Sefy wins gold in sumo at The World Games after being disqualified for over-celebrating original win.

#4: Muzala Samukonga comes from behind to win 400m at Commonwealth Games.

#5: USA beats Japan to win The World Games softball gold medal in front of home crowd. 

#6: The Vatican debuts at the Mediterranean Games.

I’m finding it too difficult to fairly rank athletes in the remaining categories, so this will be it for me. I’m purposely choosing to not vote in the Olympic Spirit category (didn’t feel there were any striking examples this year, more negative if anything) :dunno:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also, something to consider for next year if we do this again…

I think it would be better to create a user generated shortlist for each category (ie, users can suggest a few 2-3 unique candidates for each category), and then hold a preliminary vote with all those candidates listed, with the top 5/6 candidates moving on to the main round of voting for each award.

There’s some athletes/teams/moments other users have suggested that I didn’t even think of or consider that I wish had when reading through the thread. There’s just so much to consider and evaluate for individual users in the first round at present.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

And overall, only another quotation for Tita/Banti: what more than wins every championship, every single race, every side, in a sport like sailing? Sailing is not athletic, or swimming, or rowing, when usually one, stronger, wins. Sailing is tactic, is brain, is phisical also, but is impossible win in this way.

PS for me, Ben Ainsle is one of 5 best sporstman everytime, with Phelps, Jordan, Bolt, Merkx. No doubt.

Then you should read More closely ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also, something to consider for next year if we do this again…

I think it would be better to create a user generated shortlist for each category (ie, users can suggest a few 2-3 unique candidates for each category), and then hold a preliminary vote with all those candidates listed, with the top 5/6 candidates moving on to the main round of voting for each award.

There’s some athletes/teams/moments other users have suggested that I didn’t even think of or consider that I wish had when reading through the thread. There’s just so much to consider and evaluate for individual users in the first round at present.

That was my initial thought, but there wasn't much time to do something like this. Next year I will open the thread sooner so we can do shortlists.