website statistics

Wrestling 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 1/26/2023 at 2:23 AM, MHSN said:

Ivan Yarygin tournament will start in Russia tomorrow.

Olympic Champions Uguev and Sidakov won the gold. G. Rashidov lost the final to Mammedov. A. Magomedov also lost to someone called "Mekhtikhanov" and settled for bronze.

----------------

in another news, Brackets are out for the freestyle competition of Zagreb Open. not as good as the original entry list. some big names like G. Petriashvili, Ravi Kumar and J. Cox didn't travel to Croatia after all.

we have a very big team in Greco, I will get to that later but in freestyle Iran sent a small team of 6 wrestlers but they are all our #1 or #2. I think 2 or 3 of them should win the gold easily. but there are two matches I'm mostly interested to see. Emami vs Salkazanov (which will happen in the 2nd round) and a possible Azarpira/Snyder final at 97kg.

UWW is awarding some prize money for the first time but that's almost nothing, I think you can earn 10 times more by just one match in Russia PWL league.

:CRO Zagreb Open

men's Freestyle Champions

-57kg: :AZE Aliabbas Rzazade
-61kg: :IRI Reza Atri
-65kg: :MGL Tulga Tumur Ochir
-70kg: :USA Alec Pantaleo
-74kg: :USA Jason Michael Nolf
-79kg: :IRI Alì Savadkouhi
-86kg: :IRI Hassan Yazdani
-92kg: :USA Kollin Raymond Moore
-97kg: :USA Kyle Frederick Snyder
-125kg: :IRI Amir Hossein Zare

Edited by phelps
fixed a pair of Names

20 hours ago, phelps said:

-61kg: :IRI Reza Atri

-79kg: :IRI Alì Bakhtiar Savadkouhi
-86kg: :IRI Hassan Yazdani
-125kg: :IRI Amir Zare

I know it's almost impossible for non-Iranians to find the "correct" name of Iranian wrestlers, since UWW messes all names by adding father names. :wall: it's probably impossible to know which part is "his" name and which part should be dropped. but the 79kg guy is just Ali (the other part is his father's name) and 125kg is the opposite! his name is Amir Hossein (not just Amir)

for whatever reason UWW commentators enjoy to call him simply "Amir Zare" it's quite normal for people with a two-part name to use just one of them but Zare doesn't.

as for the competition, all 6 Iranians made it to the final and Iran finished with 4 golds and 2 silvers, but before getting too excited :d those results were expected because of the level of competition, Yazdani and Zare can beat these guys 100 out of 100 matches. this tournament was too easy for them.

Atri is still Atri, watching him is not good for people with heart issues. :wacko: I know he is a nice guy but I just hate watching him on the mat. Savadkouhi had some great wins over big names like Kadimagomedov, Sidakov and Burroughs recently but then his final was disappointing, winning only 2-1 by a caution. Azarpira lost to Snyder in the final, I wasn't expecting more, he is still far behind the best of the world in this weight, his 10-0 win over Tsakulov in World Cup couple months ago was a fluke IMO.

but Emami losing the final to Nolf was the biggest disappointment here, he dominated Salkazanov earlier and it looked finally he is becoming World Champion material but then nope, not yet. still he is our best chance at 74kg. we have great wrestlers at 65kg, 86kg, 97kg and 125kg. I think 57kg is already lost and we can't find a solid wrestler for Paris. which leaves 74kg as the only question mark. Emami lost only 2-2 to Kyle Dake in Belgrade which made lots of people think he can beat Dake next time but I still don't think so.

18 minutes ago, MHSN said:

he dominated Salkazanov

Ouch...That´s not something I wanted to read in a Olympic qualifier year :p

Looking at results (I didn´t see anything from this tournament, but I will definitely look for some highlights later) I see he lost also in the repechage to Japan... Hopefully it is only start of the season shape style and is peaking for the later most important parts of the year, otherwise this has enormous disappointement and hard ice shower written all over our expectations

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

I know it's almost impossible for non-Iranians to find the "correct" name of Iranian wrestlers, since UWW messes all names by adding father names. :wall: it's probably impossible to know which part is "his" name and which part should be dropped. but the 79kg guy is just Ali (the other part is his father's name) and 125kg is the opposite! his name is Amir Hossein (not just Amir)

for whatever reason UWW commentators enjoy to call him simply "Amir Zare" it's quite normal for people with a two-part name to use just one of them but Zare doesn't.

as for the competition, all 6 Iranians made it to the final and Iran finished with 4 golds and 2 silvers, but before getting too excited :d those results were expected because of the level of competition, Yazdani and Zare can beat these guys 100 out of 100 matches. this tournament was too easy for them.

Atri is still Atri, watching him is not good for people with heart issues. :wacko: I know he is a nice guy but I just hate watching him on the mat. Savadkouhi had some great wins over big names like Kadimagomedov, Sidakov and Burroughs recently but then his final was disappointing, winning only 2-1 by a caution. Azarpira lost to Snyder in the final, I wasn't expecting more, he is still far behind the best of the world in this weight, his 10-0 win over Tsakulov in World Cup couple months ago was a fluke IMO.

but Emami losing the final to Nolf was the biggest disappointment here, he dominated Salkazanov earlier and it looked finally he is becoming World Champion material but then nope, not yet. still he is our best chance at 74kg. we have great wrestlers at 65kg, 86kg, 97kg and 125kg. I think 57kg is already lost and we can't find a solid wrestler for Paris. which leaves 74kg as the only question mark. Emami lost only 2-2 to Kyle Dake in Belgrade which made lots of people think he can beat Dake next time but I still don't think so.

I give up! :WHT

I just came to a conclusion...I will never learn how to manage the Iranian names! I'm just gonna copy & paste the (surely wrong) UWW data...:cry:

just kidding...you know that I'm always willing to learn, so, thanks for your patience and your valuable explaination ;)

by the way, there are some results from Yesterday and Today:

women's Wrestling Champions (Part #1)

-50kg: :JPN Yui Susaki
-55kg: :JPN Moe Kiyooka
-59kg: :MDA Anastasia Nichita
-62kg: :JPN Sakura Motoki
-65kg: :JPN Mahiro Yoshitake
-68kg: :FRA Koumba Selene Fanta Larroque

men's Greco-Roman Champions (Part #1)

-77kg: :IRI Mohammadali Geraei
-87kg: :HUN Istvan Takacs

2 hours ago, phelps said:

I give up! :WHT

I just came to a conclusion...I will never learn how to manage the Iranian names! I'm just gonna copy & paste the (surely wrong) UWW data...:cry:

just kidding...you know that I'm always willing to learn, so, thanks for your patience and your valuable explaination ;)

Yeah I know :d there is no clear formula to follow. this is just how we know these guys.

Iranian naming system is completely similar to yours, givenname + surname. that's it. but the problem is some names are consisted of more than just one part which confuses non-Iranian readers. there is no clear formula. some people use just one part, some use the whole thing. when it comes to the surname, 99% people only use the first part but there are lots of exceptions for example the current dictator who is in a mission to burn the country to the ground is known by the 2nd part of his surname)

UWW makes it worse and more confusing by adding the father name right after the givenname. (probably to avoid confusion when two wrestlers share exactly the same name)

Edited by MHSN

11 hours ago, phelps said:

women's Wrestling Champions (Part #1)

-50kg: :JPN Yui Susaki

Jiang Zhu became the first wrestler since 2019 to score a point against Yui Susaki. Susaki won Olympic Gold and World Championships in the meantime. 

women's Wrestling Champions (Part #2)

-53kg: :JPN Akari Fujinami
-57kg: :JPN Sae Nanjo
-72kg: :USA Skylar Grote
-76kg: :USA Yelena Makoyed

men's Greco-Roman Champions (Part #2)

-55kg: :IRI Poya Dadmarz
-60kg: :IRI Mehdi Mohsennejad

-63kg: :AZE Taleh Mammadov

-67kg: :CHN Husiyuetu

-72kg: :TUR Selcuk Can

-82kg: :IRI Alireza Mohmadi

-97kg: :BUL Kiril Milov

-130kg: :CUB Oscar Pino Hinds

@MHSN hope the Iranian names are correct (but I have a lot of doubts) :mumble:

Edited by phelps
Fixed some names

55 minutes ago, phelps said:

-55kg: :IRI Poya Dad Marz
-60kg: :IRI Mehdi Mohsen Nejad

-82kg: :IRI Alireza Mohmadi

@MHSN hope the Iranian names are correct (but I have a lot of doubts) :mumble:

yeah almost :d it should be Dadmarz and Mohsennejad (the 2nd part is just a suffix, not a separate word) but it's their own fault to write there names this way

about the competition, winning 4G, 4S and 5 B out of 18 wrestlers sounds good but only 1 or 2 wrestlers really satisfied me. except 4 more wrestlers (our biggest names) who didn't wrestle here and I think will wrestle in Egypt later this month, this is all we got. some performances here were really worrisome. it was part of our trial system this year and they had to be in a good shape, this is just beginning of the season excuse doesn't apply here.

I also wanted to write something about Oscar Pino. he is probably the 2nd best wrestler in the world in this weight, I have no idea why he didn't wrestle at 2021 and 2022 Worlds but from what I saw today he will be clear favorite for the gold in Belgrade, even in front of Kayaalp. he ate everybody alive here. from what I heard Mijain Lopez is preparing for the 2024 Olympics, it will be a shame if one of these 2 guys have to sit out. actually I'm surprised nobody tried to "buy" him yet. he is 99% guaranteed medal

30 or 40 Turkish wrestlers missing in that destructive earth quake that hit Turkey and Syria this morning , 7.8 on Richter scale , also some footballers , volleyball  and technicians are missing , total disaster in both Turkey and Syrian coastal areas