website statistics

Wrestling 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

today and tomorrow Iran is hosting a tournament called "7th World Freestyle Clubs Cup" but that's not recognized or sanctioned by UWW

in short they just made up a tournament to satisfy their main sponsor. :facepalm:it's funny/humiliating to see our top wrestlers against random kids from Georgia or Kazakhstan. almost all matches finish 10-0 in the first period. :thumbdown: but what makes this tournament a bit interesting is a team from Russia ! :yikes: (that's probably why UWW doesn't recognize the event) that Russian team is consisted of Yarygin medalists. (guys like Gamzatov, Mamedov, Bizhoev, Zherbaev, Kurbanov) not Russia A team but still a tough challenge.

this team is leading by the great Khadzhimurat Gatsalov, who is now the head coach of Russia national freestyle team. their previous coach had a weird/interesting history, Dzhambulat Tedeyev was the cousin of Elbrus Tedeyev (Olympic Champion from Ukraine and if I'm not wrong still the president of Ukrainian wrestling federation) he had this position for something like 20 years but for whatever reason they replaced him with Gatsalov.

@MHSN here in Italy some news about Iman Madhavi have started to hit the headlines (actually, only of a sports website like OA for now, but I'm sure also the general newspapers sooner or later will write a few words about him).

here are a few words (in Italian, of course) about his story:

https://www.oasport.it/2023/02/lotta-la-storia-di-iman-madhavi-perseguitato-in-iran-accolto-in-italia-insegue-le-olimpiadi-nella-categoria-di-chamizo/?refresh_ce

do you know something more than that? (in particular, a different point of view than the usual "western narrative" our media can't live without nowadays). :mumble:

5 hours ago, phelps said:

@MHSN here in Italy some news about Iman Madhavi have started to hit the headlines (actually, only of a sports website like OA for now, but I'm sure also the general newspapers sooner or later will write a few words about him).

here are a few words (in Italian, of course) about his story:

https://www.oasport.it/2023/02/lotta-la-storia-di-iman-madhavi-perseguitato-in-iran-accolto-in-italia-insegue-le-olimpiadi-nella-categoria-di-chamizo/?refresh_ce

do you know something more than that? (in particular, a different point of view than the usual "western narrative" our media can't live without nowadays). :mumble:

I don't know this guy, never heard of his name until he landed on Tommy's show list of "refugees". and I think the whole article wrote his name wrongly. unless he has a super weird and unique surname (very unlikely) he should be Iman Mahdavi.

I know absolutely nothing about him, therefore I don't know what's his case but he wasn't probably even a tier 10 wrestler here. the article says he is from the "shores of the Caspian Sea" which means north of the country, almost everybody trains wrestling in that region, (something like 80% of our freestyle team come from there) so to me he is just someone who did train wrestling but not a serious wrestler. (at least not in our standards which is quite high in this specific sport)

I can write two pages about the situation in Iran but I assume that will bore you and everybody else :d since 1979 lots of people left the country and never came back (including more than half of my relatives , friends and classmates) of course most of them simply legally moved to somewhere else but lots of people are not qualified enough to find a job in a western country, therefore becoming a refugee is always the shortcut. based on my own knowledge/experience only 5% of Iranian refugees are real. the rest just fakes something to get out. (mostly they claim they changed their religion or they are homosexual, imagine a guy with wife and children claiming to be gay!!) once again I don't know this specific guy but I assume he also faked a story. it's easy to fake a bad story about this regime. they just make it easy, they are brutal, corrupt and whatever bad word you use.

this guy is probably just an amateur but lots of our top athletes (or at least decent athletes) also did the same, specially after the recent crisis. some of them like our chess players had a legit reason, I don't blame them. some of them are just opportunists. you may hear lots of stories but this is very simple, the main problem is the economical situation in Iran, inflation, unemployment etc. Iranian Rial lost almost half of its value only and only in last 6 months. life is getting harder and harder for ordinary people. (Yep US/western sanctions are working perfectly)

and IOC is giving free pass to the Olympics to any random Iranian athlete who simply asks for this. so why not ? that actually motivated some guys to leave the country, they can go do the Olympics without qualification.

Edited by MHSN

thanks!

it's always interesting reading your posts, always explaining a lot of things it's impossible to find in our media that might not be manipulated by the socalled "establishment" like in other places, but they're always full of propaganda / nonsense in one direction or another, according to what's their momentarily convenience :facepalm:

p.s. I never get bored if / when I can learn something ;)

we will have the 2nd ranking Series event of the year starting from tomorrow

Ibrahim Moustafa Ranking Series Entry List
https://uww.org/article/ibrahim-moustafa-ranking-series-entry-list

UWW wrote an article about a possibly Kayaalp/Mirzazadeh (2022 WCh Final) but MZZ is not going to wrestle tomorrow :d he will wrestle at the Asian Championship instead (UWW should double check the entries with NFs before writing an article about a possible matchup)

still Iran sent 3 (former) World Champions in Greco-Roman. plus a young team in freestyle.

Ranking Series

Ibrahim Moustafa Tournament (:EGY Alexandria)

Greco-Roman Wrestling Champions

-55kg: :KAZ Amangali Bekbolatov
-60kg: :TUR Kerem Kamal
-63kg: :IRI Meysam Dalkhani
-67kg: :KAZ Merey Bekenov
-72kg: :GEO Ramaz Zoidze
-77kg: :BUL Aik Mnatsakanian
-82kg: :GEO Gela Bolkvadze
-87kg: :GEO Lasha Gobadze
-97kg: :IRI Mohammad Saravi
-130kg: :EGY Abdellatif Mohamed Ahmed Mohamed

Women's Wrestling Champions (Part #1)

-57kg: :CAN Alexandria Rebekkah Town
-62kg: :KGZ Aisuluu Tynybekova
-68kg: :USA Forrest Ann Molinari
-76kg: :USA Kennedy Alexis Blades

It was "fun" watching our World and Olympic Champion losing 8-0 to a random guy :facepalm: but that's OK. that happens because of his careless style. it's better to lose like this here rather than in a major event. Geraei is still the best in the world but just not unbeatable. anybody can beat him if he isn't careful.

other two guys ended up with gold medal. Dalkhani did good, he broke his hand last year (and couldn't defend his 2021 World title) IMO he did great considering he was out of the competition for a year. we have two great wrestlers in this weight, what a pity it's a non-Olympic weight and even if they move up a weight they will run into our Olympic Champion.

Saravi at 97kg won the gold but he was far from convincing. I hope it was just lack of preparation. he is/was probably our safest bet for medal in world events.

Ranking Series

Ibrahim Moustafa Tournament (:EGY Alexandria)

Men's Freestyle Champions

-57kg: :TUR Suleyman Atli
-61kg: :KGZ Taiyrbek Zhumashbek Uulu
-65kg: :ARM Vazgen Tevanyan
-70kg: :KGZ Ernazar Akmataliev
-74kg: :ROU Iakub Shikhdzhamalov
-79kg: :GEO Avtandil Kentchadze
-86kg: :UKR Vasyl Mykhailov
-92kg: :USA Kollin Raymond Moore
-97kg: :SVK Batyrbek Tcakulov @hckošice 
-125kg: :TUR Taha Akgul

Women's Wrestling Champions (Part #2)

-50kg: :CHN Feng Ziqi
-53kg: :ECU Lucia Yamileth Yepez Guzman
-55kg: :USA Jacarra Gwenisha Winchester
-59kg: :UKR Yuliia Tkach

-65kg: :UKR Tetiana Sova Rizhko
-72kg: :ITA Dalma Caneva

45 minutes ago, phelps said:

Ranking Series

Ibrahim Moustafa Tournament (:EGY Alexandria)

Men's Freestyle Champions

-57kg: :TUR Suleyman Atli
-61kg: :KGZ Taiyrbek Zhumashbek Uulu
-65kg: :ARM Vazgen Tevanyan
-70kg: :KGZ Ernazar Akmataliev
-74kg: :ROU Iakub Shikhdzhamalov
-79kg: :GEO Avtandil Kentchadze
-86kg: :UKR Vasyl Mykhailov
-92kg: :USA Kollin Raymond Moore
-97kg: :SVK Batyrbek Tcakulov @hckošice 
-125kg: :TUR Taha Akgul

Women's Wrestling Champions (Part #2)

-50kg: :CHN Feng Ziqi
-53kg: :ECU Lucia Yamileth Yepez Guzman
-55kg: :USA Jacarra Gwenisha Winchester
-59kg: :UKR Yuliia Tkach

-65kg: :UKR Tetiana Sova Rizhko
-72kg: :ITA Dalma Caneva

Do you have by any chance any info why Salkazanov did not start here ? Is it due injury, return to practice due bad shape in the first tournament or something else ? I can not find anything in our sites, our wrestling federation fb account just mentioned the 3 nominated athletes for this tournament Gulaev, Makoev and Tsakulov nothing more, not a single sentence... their (non)informations to the public is so frustrating sometimes :wacko:

51 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Do you have by any chance any info why Salkazanov did not start here ? Is it due injury, return to practice due bad shape in the first tournament or something else ? I can not find anything in our sites, our wrestling federation fb account just mentioned the 3 nominated athletes for this tournament Gulaev, Makoev and Tsakulov nothing more, not a single sentence... their (non)informations to the public is so frustrating sometimes :wacko:

no idea, but I think that it was just a tournament not on his schedule.

probably he doesn't want to cut weight too many times and he's back in training for the next targeted event (which I guess it will be the European Championship).

people like him don't need too many of these tournaments to get in good shape nor to keep themselves high in the world ranking.