website statistics

Wrestling 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Well, anytime people say, that Russia is banned from the 2024 OG, you can mention, that half of the wrestling field is of Russians. :lol:

you also got a very good Ukrainian wrestler, Semen Novikov is listed for Bulgaria in Zagreb Open
https://uww.org/article/zagreb-open-ranking-series-entry-list

he is a two time World U23 Champion + European Senior Champion but had to sit out for main events because of the Olympic Champion Zhan Beleniuk

I also see lots of Russian names representing other countries but they are all average or below average wrestlers, I still doubt Russian tier 1 wrestlers switch country.

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

you also got a very good Ukrainian wrestler, Semen Novikov is listed for Bulgaria in Zagreb Open
https://uww.org/article/zagreb-open-ranking-series-entry-list

Yeah, i saw some articles about him, when we had our national championships a week ago. I'm definitely not excluding ourselves from the mix, as we have one of the biggest foreign teams around :lol:  Mnatsakanian, Umarpashaev, Bataev, Magamaev, Abdelslam (even, if he is always injured), now this Ukrainian fellow. Quite embarrassing i would say from a historical plan, but that's how "the mighty have fallen". 

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Yeah, i saw some articles about him, when we had our national championships a week ago. I'm definitely not excluding ourselves from the mix, as we have one of the biggest foreign teams around :lol:  Mnatsakanian, Umarpashaev, Bataev, Magamaev, Abdelslam (even, if he is always injured), now this Ukrainian fellow. Quite embarrassing i would say from a historical plan, but that's how "the mighty have fallen". 

Bulgaria used to be the country that their talents fly away and represent other countries , it looks like things changed :d

Ivan Yarygin tournament will start in Russia tomorrow. this used to be the toughest international wrestling competition. you had to beat several top Russian wrestlers to win a medal. but now it's mostly a local competition between them. but I also see a limited number of non-Russian wrestlers in the list, mostly from Uzbekistan, Mongolia, Moldova, KGZ etc. Iran also sent a small team of 3rd-4th tier wrestlers.

I was checking the brackets and it's still a very high level competition with likes of Rashidov, Sidakov, A. Magomedov.

from their tier 1 wrestlers I can't see Olympic Champions Zaur Uguev and the great Sadulaev in the list. Uguev wrestled in a league competition in Iran few weeks ago and also wrestled in PWL League so we know he is OK but what about the Tank ? where is him exactly ? when was the last time he wrestled.

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

from their tier 1 wrestlers I can't see Olympic Champions Zaur Uguev and the great Sadulaev in the list.

I wonder how I  missed Uguev's name :facepalm:

he was in top of the table and also made it to the final against Akhmed Idrisov.

Russia tried to keep its top wrestlers in good shape by having several competitions, specially PWL league with good prize money (also invited some of our top wrestlers, some of them went, some didn't) but for whatever reason the great Sadulaev is still missing, probably not interested in minor competitions. he was on his way to break all records, nobody could beat him except Putin :mad: