website statistics

Taekwondo 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

24 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Great,then tell your goverment that,lol. this is a joke at this point,no country except possibly Ukraine will boycott,there are consequancies for boycotting,the sport heads can blubber all they like but in the end money talks.43 procent off my Super pro-ukraine country don't want us to boycot the games,25 procent don't know,all this would do is prevent some athletes from competing in the games and some would have to retire before getting their last olympic chance because ''muh moral pointless stand''  that won't actually end the war ,because [big surprise] athletes do not run  goverments and they cannot force a country to stop the war.

Unfortunately our government won't listen to a left wing northern labour supporter like me, we're seen as weak and inferior. Well continue boycotting events as the government think it'll make them look good ahead of elections next year. 

23 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Unfortunately our government won't listen to a left wing northern labour supporter like me, we're seen as weak and inferior. Well continue boycotting events as the government think it'll make them look good ahead of elections next year. 

The LTA and Wimbledon took a decision last year to ban Russian and Belarussian athletes from taking part - and have reversed their decision this year - but it was ultimately their decision and not the government's. So with the exception of the women's boxing world champs which events have Team GB boycotted?

11 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The LTA and Wimbledon took a decision last year to ban Russian and Belarussian athletes from taking part - and have reversed their decision this year - but it was ultimately their decision and not the government's. So with the exception of the women's boxing world champs which events have Team GB boycotted?

None but they've not had that many chances to do so, although it's a certainty that they're gonna boycott the Men's Boxing World Champs. I also believe they'll boycott the fencing world cup events, and would've already started doing so if the early ones wouldn't have been cancelled.  

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

• 1 month later...

World Championship bronze medalist :IRI Reza Kalhor tested positive for Anabolic steroids and will be banned for 4 years :( he tested positive during the World Grand Slam where he also won the bronze.

what a waste of talent :cry: he is what? 17 or 18 :facepalm:he was kind of my favorite guy in the team.

@Laraja I assume you have to adjust the GS ranking accordingly but well WT sucks. they didn't even publish a GS ranking to update it now. :facepalm:

On 5/17/2023 at 1:14 PM, MHSN said:

World Championship bronze medalist :IRI Reza Kalhor tested positive for Anabolic steroids and will be banned for 4 years :( he tested positive during the World Grand Slam where he also won the bronze.

what a waste of talent :cry: he is what? 17 or 18 :facepalm:he was kind of my favorite guy in the team.

2nd shocking news in 24 hours. first it was a terrible news, now it's a total disaster :IRI Danial Bozorgi who won silver in the same competition and the same weight (and was supposed to compete at the World Champs in Baku this month and was a gold medal hopeful) is tested positive for exactly the same drug :yikes: and facing 4 years ban. 

I'm no doctor but they claim Anabolic steroids are good if you want to gain weight but these guys were constantly cutting weight to make 68kg. it doesn't make sense to take it willingly. the federation is now testing everybody in the team and they are afraid of the worst-case scenario. :cry: hopefully it's just 2 :(

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

2nd shocking news in 24 hours. first it was a terrible news, now it's a total disaster :IRI Danial Bozorgi who won silver in the same competition and the same weight (and was supposed to compete at the World Champs in Baku this month and was a gold medal hopeful) is tested positive for exactly the same drug :yikes: and facing 4 years ban. 

I'm no doctor but they claim Anabolic steroids are good if you want to gain weight but these guys were constantly cutting weight to make 68kg. it doesn't make sense to take it willingly. the federation is now testing everybody in the team and they are afraid of the worst-case scenario. :cry: hopefully it's just 2 :(

well, actually steroids are the best way to build up muscles and strenght (that's why they're normally associated with the increase of body weight, but it's only a side effect) and help to maintain aggressivness, all things very useful in all kind of physical activity.

and that's why they've been used for so many years as primary doping treatment, also in sports where weight classes can make things more complicated to be managed (people have to balance the increase of weight trying to lose more body fat as possible, even with extreme measures -here comes into play diuretics* and anti-diabetis medicines, normally used in association with steroids to compensate the side effect of becoming heavier).

that's why they're still used as of today, despite they're so easy to be detected even with a simple anti-doping check (just need a basic urine sample and it's not among those expensive checks you can make once every while, they can be performed multiple times by any lab around the world).

*they also have a cover up effect, helping human body to eliminate the banned substances quicker from your body (at least those substances that can be detected by a basic urine test, other things involving blood and hormons are just another story).

tbh, 2 results like that in the same team at the same time don't look promising at all. it opens up to more than one suspect of team doping, which could be very painful for the whole NOC.

I wish your athletes the best, but I fear it's gonna be a very complicated situation.