website statistics

Swimming 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Apart from Liendo, Kharun, MacNeill, Maße and McIntosh the most interesting swimmers to watch will probably be Ella Jansen and the young Sandpiper girl in the distance events (Dunford?). Oleksiak and Ruck not competing probably kills Canada‘s medal chances in the free relays and at least opens the door in the medley relay. Maybe Canada can put together a men’s 400 free relay that has an outside shot at a medal, it probably depends on Kharun.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Mindbowing, given the lack of competition and time of the year especially. Although Titmus broke the WR at trials, maybe lack of pressure also works in favour? A swim for the ages still. Let's see how Titmus answers, but Summer is the one to beat in the 400 FR now.

Also, Katinka's 400 IM is in danger now. And I want to see hee 200 FL. 

5 hours ago, NMQ said:

Mindbowing, given the lack of competition and time of the year especially. Although Titmus broke the WR at trials, maybe lack of pressure also works in favour? A swim for the ages still. Let's see how Titmus answers, but Summer is the one to beat in the 400 FR now.

Also, Katinka's 400 IM is in danger now. And I want to see hee 200 FL. 

It also helps that you can cruise the heats but in the shape Summer is in that probably doesn't matter. I think the 200 IM is more in reach than the 200 FL provided her breaststroke is on song.

We don’t know what her focus has been on recently, but at least the 200 free record seems in danger, maybe also the 200/400 IM records. Still think that the 200 fly record is out of her reach for now, but maybe she can go 2:03 this year and then attack it in 2024 or 2025. The 200 fly record is probably the most difficult to break on the women’s side (maybe apart from Ledecky‘s 800/1500 free records) and the only record (in an Olympic event) that might be even more out of reach is the men’s 800 free record (+ maybe Peaty‘s 100 breast record). I think Phelps holds the record for having broken the world record in the most Olympic (individual) events. He broke the record in the 200 free, 100/200 fly and 200/400 IM. Crazy to think that Summer could actually match that. I don’t See her breaking the 800 free record, but who knows?

List of female swimmers with the most Olympic golds:

Jenny Thompson - 8

Katy Ledecky - 7

Kristin Otto/Amy Van Dyken - 6

Emma McKeon/Krisztina Egerszegi/Dana Vollmer/Missy Franklin - 5

List of female swimmers with the most individual Olympic golds:

Katie Ledecky - 6

Krisztina Egerszegi - 5

Inge De Bruijn/Janet Evans/Yana Klochkova/Kristin Otto - 4

List of female swimmers with the most Olympic golds at a single games:

Kristin Otto - 6

Kornelia Ender/Katie Ledecky/Emma McKeon/Missy Franklin/Amy Van Dyken - 4

Number of swimming gold medals that Canada won at the Olympics (all-time): 9

Number of swimming gold medals that Italy won at the Olympics (all-time): 5

Number of swimming gold medals that Russia (ROC excluded) won at the Olympics (all-time): 4

Number of swimming gold medals that Germany (after the reunification -> since the 1992 Olympics) won at the Olympics (all-time): 3

Number of swimming gold medals that Spain/Brazil/South Korea/Poland won combined at the Olympics (all-time): 5

Right now 3 gold medals seems like a conservative prediction for McIntosh.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.