website statistics

Football 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, thepharoah said:

I'm really shocked by this decision , I've never seen such decisions in Bayern Munchen history

I wouldn’t go that far ... the club is very old.

1) If the club really didn’t inform him of their decision before the media broke the story, then you have to feel sorry for him. This is not a good look for the club.

2) I didn’t really see any positive developments under his „rule“, so in my opinion it wasn’t crazy to look for a replacement. Result-wise this Season has been perfect in the champions league, but the games weren’t necessarily convincing and the Bundesliga season has been disappointing so far. Last season overall has been disappointing (getting eliminated by Villareal/Gladbach).

3) I don’t think that this is a Good time to change the Coach, so I am not sure why this happened at this point in time. Tuchel basically won’t have any time with the squad before the matches against Dortmund/City and if he loses those matches, he will be under heavy criticism already.

4) I think that Tuchel is one of the best coaches in the world and probably the best of all those who were available right now. I think that this squad might fight the playing style he had with Chelsea (focusing on defense), but I am not sure if he will get along with the club officials. I am not sure if they will back him if he decides to not play certain players. Maybe they learned that he was close to signing with Tottenham and that they would have to sign him now or let go of him, but even if that was the case, It doesn’t really explain why they couldn’t give Nagelsmann the rest of the season.

Maybe we will learn more about the reasons (for doing this right now instead of at the end of the season) later on.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Morocco just defeated Brazil in a friendly game 2-1 , this team would have been a WC Winner candidate for 2026 if they won the bid against USA 

Don’t think so. I think teams like Morocco or Croatia have a ceiling that makes it pretty much impossible to win a World Cup. In the past 70 years or so no really small nations have won the World Cup. Only Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England (although their winning goal was irregular), Brazil, Argentina. Spain (barely beating the Netherlands despite having a once in a lifetime generation) and England only did it once and needed a lot of luck. Nations like Portugal, Belgium or the Netherlands never did it and Argentina had to wait for a very long time. You need the right mentality and the individual quality (which Morocco doesn’t have). Unless something crazy happens, France again will be the favorite, probably followed by Portugal/England/Brazil.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

18 hours ago, thepharoah said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'NORD C65M APPROXIMATE TOTAL COST OF NAGELSMANN'

Bayern paid a world-record €25m to Leipzig to get Nagelsmann out of contract and gave him a five-year contract worth €8m a season 

1) I think the fee was 20 million.

2) So you think that he will sit out the 3 remaining years of his contract (only way that he will get the „missing“ 24 million of his salary)?

Obviously I don’t disagree that it was crazy to give him a 5 year contract despite the fact that he had never coached a big team before. I think the 20 million euro fee only would have been justifiable if there wouldn’t have been other world class coaches available, which in my opinion wasn’t the case. I still remember that I thought that Bayern would sign Ten Hag (who had coached their 2nd team before when Guardiola was there). If they could have gotten Ten Hag without paying a (huge) fee, than that probably would have been a better option.

Edited by OlympicsFan

France (and Germany) missed the U19 European Championships (again). Pretty interesting to see that France is producing the most world class talents by far, yet they perform rather poorly at junior level. It also has to be said that the qualifying groups are extremely „imbalanced“. In one group you have Italy, Belgium AND Germany and then you have one group with Greece/Slovakia/Ireland/Estonia and one group with Poland/Israel/Serbia/Latvia.

Edited by OlympicsFan