website statistics

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

There aren‘t many disciplines were Athletes can Control World records like that. I think Isinbaeva used to do the Same. Seems a Bit unfair that the potential to earn prize money is directly related to that. Maybe it would be better if the prize money would depend on the percentage of world record improvement. What Kipchoge did over the years has been at least as impressive, but of course he never had the chance to do what Duplantis regularly does.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

27 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

There aren‘t many disciplines were Athletes can Control World records like that. I think Isinbaeva used to do the Same. Seems a Bit unfair that the potential to earn prize money is directly related to that. Maybe it would be better if the prize money would depend on the percentage of world record improvement. What Kipchoge did over the years has been at least as impressive, but of course he never had the chance to do what Duplantis regularly does.

The solution for pole vault (and high jump) is for the officials, not the athletes to control the height increase. Making a rule where the pole goes up 5cm (or 3cm for high jump) each time minimizes the extent of world record farming seen in those events.

While long distance running also has the potential to see some world record farming it isn't as easy to control as pole vault/high jump. Slight errors could cause the person to finish too slow and miss out on the world record or finish too fast and cut the world record by more than intended.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Conversely, I’d imagine there’s more sponsorship money in marathon running than there is in pole vaulting. However, I’d also imagine Mondo will be one of the best paid athletes for the next few cycles.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Conversely, I’d imagine there’s more sponsorship money in marathon running than there is in pole vaulting. However, I’d also imagine Mondo will be one of the best paid athletes for the next few cycles.

Yes, but not sure how that relates. The issue is whether World Athletics itself should (demand organizers of competitions sanctioned by them to) reward Mondo‘s performances with far more money than the performances of Rojas for example. I am not sure by how much those two have improved the world record in their disciplines (percentually). Triple jump certainly doesn’t allow Rojas to „control“ the world record the same way as Mondo does in pole vault. I don’t think that the Prize Money Rojas received adequately represents the impressiveness of her performances compared to those of Mondo.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Of course it’s fair: he’s selling tickets.

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Of course it’s fair: he’s selling tickets.

All taking the famous Bubka tactics :p 

And come on, who wouldn't do the same?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Update on the male discus front Connor bell improves his national record to 66.23 [record increase 35 days after he set it],Daniel Jasinski continues to make his comeback and it's now an impressive one winning the German winter championships  yesterday with 66.75 which moves him to second overall in the world this year,[for real this time,because an indoor discus meet does not count].Mika Sosna the under 20 world record holder bonces back from no marking at the indoor meet to finish second in the German championships with a Pb of 65.57 with the 2kg discus,and under 20th world champ from 2022 his teammate Marius Karges has a new Pb of 62.43,another 20 year old German Steven Richter threw 62.38,so a pretty great competition. 

Edited by Biathlonfan