website statistics

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 3/17/2023 at 7:15 AM, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the most insane running event in the world has happened this week. The infamous Barkley Marathons, where nobody knows exactly when it'll start, the athletes hunt for pages in books, the race consists of 5 laps for which you've got an average of 12 hours per lap and which, in more than three decades, only 15 people had ever even finished. With finishing being the goal, not 'winning'.

It's been a few incredible days, with four people (!) entering the 5th and final loop and a historical day...three of them finished!

Aurélien Sanchez :FRA finished overnight in 58 hours and 23 minutes, followed by John Kelly :USA roughly 20 minutes later (until last night, Kelly was the last finisher, when he got there in 2017).

Reveal hidden contents

Belgian ultrarunning legend Karel Sabbe, who holds all kinds of insane records, finished in his second attempt with 6,5 minutes left on the clock!

Reveal hidden contents

For those who aren't aware of the Barkley, read about it, to grasp how insane the act of finishing the race even is. Just....RIP to everyone who's invited to compete next year (roughly 40 well-known and very much proven endurance/trail runnners), because the organizer makes the course a bit harder every time there's a finisher, since apparently it was too easy. Let alone the year after a triple finish, that hasn't happened before...

The Barkley Marathon is such a weird niche in the world of sport and I'm incredibly intrigued by the concept, and the crazy endurance athletes that survive their attempts at it every year. The various youtube and Netflix documentaries are all recommendations. I can barely fathom that people are actually out there doing these survival challenges like the Barkley, Marathon des Sables, Moab 240, Tor des Geants and various others. They make running the 100-mile Ultra Trail de Mont-Blanc look like a piece of cake.

There was a great attempt by :GBR Jasmin Paris this year as well, who became I believe the first woman to complete four loops.

6 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

so a scavanger hunt and not athletics basically,got it,doesn't really sound like ''real world'' but whatever you say man 

It’s the basically the pinnacle of ultra-marathoning in the United States. All our big running media outlets cover the race.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s the basically the pinnacle of ultra-marathoning in the United States. All our big running media outlets cover the race.

Not only in the US, ultras like the Marathon des Sables (which are insanely hard!) are widely considered peanuts compared to the infamous Barkleys :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Marathon Super Sunday kicks off in a couple hours, close to 10 B+ marathons in 1 day that all contribute to Olympic qualification.  

Which are the biggest ones in terms of top athletes competing, mostly Rome I think?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which are the biggest ones in terms of top athletes competing, mostly Rome I think?

I'd probably say Barcelona, although Rome may have more Eastern European interest. Seoul will be very Asian heavy, and I can also see the South American races have a few big names. Can't find any entry lists online, which is quite surprising at this stage. I can only find one stream too, it's for the Barcelona Marathon which is on Eurosport.     

Edited by Cinnamon Bun