website statistics

Women's Tennis WTA Tour 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Will Sakkari win this SF? :d 

Well to begin with it seems difficult because she plays an early match in SF even though she finished after midnight local time. Meanwhile Kudermetova vs Swiatek is later even though one played the first match of QF and the other didn't even play...

Reminds me of Guadalajara where Maria had to play SF and F in one day, while her opponent in the final (ironically also Pegula) did not have to.

Edited by Makedonas

6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Well to begin with it seems difficult because she plays an early match in SF even though she finished after midnight local time. Meanwhile Kudermetova vs Swiatek is later even though one played the first match of QF and the other didn't even play...

Reminds me of Guadalajara where Maria had to play SF and F in one day, while her opponent in the final (ironically also Pegula) did not have to.

It's because Pegula is still in the doubles and will play the final later today as well. If a player has a singles & doubles match on the same day the singles match is always first on the OOP.

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

The answer is no. Pegula won in three sets.

Meanwhile Iga Świątek trashed Kudermetova 6-0 6-1 in the other SF. So she has lost TWO games in two matches and here she is in the final :p

SFakari xD

I wish Iga revenges for that United Cup loss now :hearts: 

On 2/17/2023 at 2:52 AM, Monzanator said:

It's because Pegula is still in the doubles and will play the final later today as well. If a player has a singles & doubles match on the same day the singles match is always first on the OOP.

Thanks for explaining, but why would they play the doubles final the same day as the singles semifinals? It should be played the same day as the singles final in my opinion.

Also what if the singles final is a quick match, then these fans bought tickets just to watch less than an hour of tennis? Should have both finals on the same day. That's how it normally is at WTA events anyways.

12 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Thanks for explaining, but why would they play the doubles final the same day as the singles semifinals? It should be played the same day as the singles final in my opinion.

Also what if the singles final is a quick match, then these fans bought tickets just to watch less than an hour of tennis? Should have both finals on the same day. That's how it normally is at WTA events anyways.

Singles draw is 32 names, doubles draw is only 16 teams so one less round hence the final is one day earlier.

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Singles draw is 32 names, doubles draw is only 16 teams so one less round hence the final is one day earlier.

The draw sizes in Linz and Lyon for example were 32 for singles and 16 for doubles, but they played both finals on the same day.

9 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

The draw sizes in Linz and Lyon for example were 32 for singles and 16 for doubles, but they played both finals on the same day.

Most players in Doha also entered Dubai the next week so I guess it's better to have a day off between events rather than before the final. Linz was 250 and most players are too low ranked to make the Doha 500 w/o qualifying and basically skipped it.

The smackdown is complete. :POL Iga Świątek wins Doha 500 beating :USA Jessica Pegula 6-3 6-0 in the final.

Świątek lost FIVE games in three matches here. Fives games to win a WTA title is unheard of dominance, even peak Chris Evert didn't manage to do that in her clay court heyday...

Poland hasn't had a dominator like this in a GLOBAL sport since maybe Irena Szewińska...