website statistics

Poll - Will Russian individual athletes participate in Paris 2024 olympics??? (not as representatives of other NOCs)

rafalgorka

Poll - Will Russian individual athletes participate in Paris 2024 olympics??? (not in other NOC teams)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Will Russian individual athletes participate in Paris 2024 olympics??? (not as representatives of other NOCs)

• yes
    • no
    • i will pass this

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2022 at 10:55 PM

This is not what you think - they should or they should not.

This is about what you think is gonna happen, what IOC and Macron do about it?

Very very interested in the outcome of this poll.

Edited by rafalgorka

• 4 weeks later...

I think there's enough support among sport officials (even those from Western nations) that the inclusion of Russia/Belarus to be possible. At least in some sports. It comes down to real politics and possibly the state of the war as we approach the end of 2023.

I wonder what would happen if the IOC allow Russia and Belarus to compete and then, for instance, the next day Russian missiles wipe out a hospital or orphanage in Ukraine. The IOC would have a lot to lose in that situation. Are they brave/foolish enough to risk that?

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

I wonder what would happen if the IOC allow Russia and Belarus to compete and then, for instance, the next day Russian missiles wipe out a hospital or orphanage in Ukraine. The IOC would have a lot to lose in that situation. Are they brave/foolish enough to risk that?

I imagine the scenario would require Russia to no longer advance/attack outside of the eastern Oblasts to minimize those instances.

Another option would be for the IOC to allow the sport federations to decide and hope a slow trickle effect would prevent it from causing a PR nightmare and then maybe reassess in June 2024. The question would be which sport federation will take the first hit? Tennis seems like the most likely option since the athletes are already competing. Judo is another option since they allowed athletes to compete before reversing their stance later in 2022.

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

Well, they never gave a shit when stuff gets blown up in some middle east country so it would be consistent.

listening to IOC's President (Olympic Champion, Fencing, 1976 etc.) words from a couple of days ago, Russia and Belarus will remain sanctioned in the whole 2023, therefore there's a very slim chance for them to comeback through the window at the last minute, as the door keeps being closed.

On 1/4/2023 at 7:25 PM, LDOG said:

Well, they never gave a shit when stuff gets blown up in some middle east country so it would be consistent.

Surely I know what you mean. And you are probably right. No, you are 100% right.

But, you know, it is just human thing. We're not perfect. That's quite understandable that we are so worried about this war here in Poland and Cenral / Eastern Europe (however you wanna call it) just because it is so close and it affects people we know in person. I know many Ukrainians, believe me. And also Lithuanians, Estonians, so that's how it is. I know it shouldn't be like that, but what can I say...

Belarus and Russia are basically one country now.

I had Ukrainian people at home, now they are safe in UK. I put them on that plane.

A lot of happened and a lot of is gonna happen...

Welcome to The Hard Times.

Edited by rafalgorka