website statistics

Name the 5 Olympic moments most remembered in your Country

rafalgorka

2 hours ago, hoversaBR said:

More than Brazil vs Russia in Athens 2004? :d

Cesar Cielo's gold was also a great moment.

I forgot about bad moments lol 

I will try to do a top 5 but not in order:

- 1992 Gold Medal in male Volleyball

- 2004 Lost to Russia in semifinals in Female Volleyball after win the 2 first sets and have 24x12 in the third

- 2000 Baloubet du Rouet refusing to jump and Rodrigo Pessoa lost the gold in Show Jumping 

- 2008 Cesar Cielo gold medal at the 50m Freestyle

- Gold and Silver in 1996 female Beach Volleyball

maybe something like this? help me haha

I would say these four gold medals:

1. Men Football in Barcelona 1992
  2. Fermín Cacho (1500m, athletics) in Barcelona 1992
  3. Samuel Sánchez (road cycling) in Beijing 2008
  4. Mireia Belmonte (200B, swimming) in Rio 2016

And the fifth would be the silver medal of men waterpolo in Barcelona 1992, paired with the gold medal of the same team in Atlanta 1996.

I was also considering the gold medal of the rhytmic group in 1996, as well as the men basketball finals in Beijing 2008 and London 2012, which are also very well remembered.

Basically we're talking about the TV age because nothing before that is "remembered" but for a long time, Ronnie Delany winning gold in the 1500m in Melbourne 1956 was Ireland's last gold medal so it was very high up in the sporting consciousness 

Anyway, here's my suggestions for :IRL 

1) Katie Taylor winning gold in 2012. In the views of Irish people, and supported by plenty outside of Ireland, there would be no Olympic boxing without her. She is still Ireland's most popular athlete as she tops the pro ranks too

2) Sonia O'Sullivan's Olympic roller-coaster. 4th in 1992, she was red hot favourite in 1996 having overcome the Chinese wave. Some thought she just had to show up to win. Illness ruined those chances and it took a while for her to recover any form. Her silver in Sydney in 2000 was a national relief and she absolutely deserved at least one Olympic medal for an amazing career. Irish people *love* a redemption story and Sonia wore every bit of her omtion on her sleeve

3) Paul O'Donovan (and friends). Paul and Gary O'Donovan gained worldwide recognition for their after race interviews in 2016 on their way to Silver in Rio. 5 years later, Fintan McCarthy had replaced Gary and the Irish lightweight double was unbeatable. Paul is a star and one of only 3 Irish men to win medals at two games

4) John Treacy winning silver in the Marathon in 1984. Mainly because of an amazing piece of commentary from RTE's JImmy Magee who listed every Irish medalist until then as Treacy ran the final 100m. The clip was used a lot when I was growing up and still pops up all the time on sporting montages

5) Michael Carruth wins gold in 1992. Boxing has always had a special place in the Irish consciousness and it has been our most successful Olympic sport 9and continues to be so) but Carruth winning gold was the first time for boxing and indeed the first time since 1956 for Ireland in any sport.

Michelle Smith winning 3 golds in 1996 was obviously massive at the time but she's rarely mentioned now...

3 hours ago, LuizGuilherme said:

I forgot about bad moments lol 

I will try to do a top 5 but not in order:

- 1992 Gold Medal in male Volleyball

- 2004 Lost to Russia in semifinals in Female Volleyball after win the 2 first sets and have 24x12 in the third

- 2000 Baloubet du Rouet refusing to jump and Rodrigo Pessoa lost the gold in Show Jumping 

- 2008 Cesar Cielo gold medal at the 50m Freestyle

- Gold and Silver in 1996 female Beach Volleyball

maybe something like this? help me haha

I agree.

Other good candidates could be:

1) Bronze medal in the marathon in Athens 2004. Especially with that occurrence of that Irishman.

2) Volleyball is Brazil's main sport in the Olympics, so it's a little obvious that the main moments are from this sport. Another not mentioned is the famous Los Angeles 1984 silver medal.

3) Gold in men's football in 2016, which was remembered because at the time Brazil had never won a gold in the sport and the defeat in the World Cup by Germany was still recent.

4) The opening of the 2016 Olympic Games, for obvious reasons.

I don't remember any others, honestly.

My most remembered moments by NOC (remembered for good or worse) as of 10/12/2022

(very early thoughts)

:FRA last moment block by Batum in semi vs SLO, Tokyo 2020

:SLO last moment block by Batum in semi vs FRA, Tokyo 2020

:LTU basket semi vs USA, I cheered you gonna beat them, you can do it, Sydney 2000 and Meilutyte reaction after she won her PRELIMINARY 100m race, London 2012

:RUS Yulia Lipnitskaya, Sochi 2014

:ROU Sandra Izbasa floor final peformance, Beijing 2008

:CHN Drummers at the opening ceremony, Beijing 2008 and Tang Xijing in beam final, Tokyo 2020 - ex aequo

:IND Men's javelin final, Tokyo 2020

:BEL Chasing Rafał Majka in the final kms, Rio 2016

:SRB Cavic vs Phelps, Beijing 2008

:ESP POL vs ESP football final, goal in 90min or sth, Barcelona 1992

:GRE Opening ceremony as a whole, Athens 2014

:NED Zbigniew Bródka, Sochi 2014

:JPN Noriaki Kasai individual silver, Sochi 2014

:CZE Ester Ledecka SG, PyeongChang 2018

:USA Charles Austin winning HJ despite Partyka 237cm jump, Atlanta 1996

:ITA Fede 200m win, Beijing 2008

:BRA Ipanema song at the opening ceremony, Rio 2016 and men's marathon safety issues drama, Athens 2004 - ex aequo

:SWE Charolotte Kalla on the anchore leg, Sochi 2014

:GER Fabian Hambuechen, Rio 2016

:AUT Hermann Maier flying high in downhill event, and then gold, Nagano 1998

:SVK men's golf powerhouse, Tokyo 2020

:RSA 400m final, Rio 2016

:NOR Bjoergen vs Kowalczyk last km in 30km, Vancouver 2010

:HUN Daniel Gyurta final performance, London 2012 and Krisztian Berki final performence, London 2012 - ex aequo

:ARG Basketball semis and final, Athens 2004

tbc...

what are your thoughts?

Edited by rafalgorka

As brazilians usually remember the bad moments more than the good, I would say that the 2004 marathon "attack" is by far the most remembered Olympic moment here (but, of course, also because Vanderlei recovered and won bronze + Pierre de Coubertin medal). So much that he was selected to lit the cauldron at the Rio Olympics.

Again with the bad moments, Rodrigo Pessoa/Baloubet du Rouet elimination in the 2000 individual jumping is often most remembered than their successful achievements (team bronze in the same competition, and individual gold in 2004). It was a perfect portrait of the Sydney Olympics, where Brazil didn't win a single gold medal. This also made Baloubet the most famous horse in Brazil ever.

For the Volleyball moments, my brazilian friends have shared some good ones (1992 men's gold, 1996 women's beach gold/silver) and a terrible one (2004 women's defeat in semifinals), but by far the most remembered I think is the 2012 women's QF match vs Russia. This is replayed every year on TV, and is much more talked than the gold medal match vs USA (which was also an amazing comeback).

From the Rio Olympics, probably the most remembered is Thiago Braz gold in pole vault. Multiple memes emerged from that unexpected medal..

Spoiler

Figura-12-Meme-da-camisa-riscada.png  davara.jpg

:INA Indonesia's Olympic moments revolves around badminton:

1. The Olympic Badminton Couple Susy Susanti and Alan Budikusuma from Barcelona 1992. Susy was expected to win gold, but Alan wasn't. His win against fellow Indonesian Ardy Wiranata was a big upset since Ardy was quite dominant in the badminton circuit.

4033767940.jpg

2. Indonesia's football 0-0 draw against :URS in Melbourne 1956. Despite losing 0-4 in the replay (because the team lost some main players due to injuries), this moment is still widely talked about in Indonesia.

C75WzaIVMAA71MA?format=jpg&name=small

3. First ever Indonesian medal in Seoul 1988. The women's team trained by Donald Pandiangan managed to win a medal after beating USA in the tie-break. Donald previously represented Indonesia in 1976 and 1984. He was deeply heartbroken and distanced himself from sport after Moscow 1980 boycott which prevented him from competing at his prime. After quite a few persuasion finally he agreed to coach the women's archery team. Today's Google Doodle is about him!

FjwNph1akAIpioj?format=png&name=small

FjwOPxfaEAETQ7g?format=png&name=small

4. The other badminton gold medal is of course widely talked

5. Rahmat Erwin Abdullah bronze medal in Tokyo 2020, he is trained by his father (who had to withdrew from Athens 2004 due to injury) in a quite dilapidated gym and people were shocked that he won from Group B.

Let's see what are the Top5 for :HUN

1st

Krisztina Egerszegi wins 200m backstroke in Seoul at the age of 14. A very highly regarded win due to her age, against a very dominant :GDR

2nd

Hungary v Soviet Union at the Melbourne water polo Olympic tournament, right after the 1956 Hungarian revolution. Remembered as a revenge against the Soviets, the match's most iconic moment is the "blood in the pool", Ervin Zádor comes out of the pool with blood pouring from above the eye after one of the Soviet players punched him.

water_polo_aug08_main_631.jpg

3rd

Not every memorable moment is positive. The most memorable loss in Hungarian sport (next to the 1954 World Cup final), the Hungarian women's handball team throws away a 6 goal lead against Denmark and loses the Sydney Olympic final. We might never have another chance like this one to win a gold in handball.

4th

First ever Hungarian gold medal at the Winter Games, you probably all remember this one.

5th

Hard to pick the fifth. I am going with "Gold from the 1st lane" as it's brought up regularly by Hungarian commentators. Attila Czene wins the 200 individual medley in Atlanta from the 1st lane, one of the most unexpected Hungarian gold medals in swimming.