website statistics

Name the 5 Olympic moments most remembered in your Country

rafalgorka

:POL

(early thoughts)

1. ATHLETICS - Men's Pole Vault - Władysław Kozakiewicz Gold in Moscow 1980. Gold in Moscow 1980. On July 30st, 1980! In Moscow! And you know the gesture he showed to the audience.... July 30th ... And you know what happened in August 1980 here :-) Solidarity movement, Lech Wałęsa... Kozakiewicz will be always part of this story.

2. VOLLEYBALL - Men's Tournament - Gold Medal in Montreal 1976, beating USSR 3-2 in a final. In 1976!!!

3. ATHLETICS - Men's 10,000m - Janusz Kusociński winning gold in LA 1932. He was killed by Germans in mass execution in 1940.

4. ATHLETICS - Women's 400m - Irena Szewińska gold in 1976. WR. Probably the best Polish athlete in history, many say.

5. SKI JUMPING - Men's NH and LH - 2002, Adam Małysz in SLC, this was THE BIGGEST HYPE here you can possibly imagine. No gold though.

Edited by rafalgorka

Easy :d

1srt Place, that Slfkovsky goal from the canteen (The first one in this highlights, you can not miss it) :p

2. The remontada and win over Yuesey in the quarterfinals with the tying goal 40 seconds to go in a rare slovak empty net power play goal

3. The first ever win over Canada in 1994 at our first Olympic appearance which resulted in National Holiday (Kinda Saudi Arabia of Central Europe :p)

4. First :SVK Gold in our first Summer Olympic appearance won by a 16 years old rookie on the wild Ocoee river

5. Marián Gáborík "Gala-show"

Hard to really make a ranking off the top of my head, but Epke Zonderland's high bar gold in 2012 is probably in it, for sure the 1996 men's volleyball gold is in the list and I'd assume Ard Schenk's successes in 1972 (?) as well among the older generation. The Inge de Bruijn/Pieter van den Hoogenband Olympics in 2004 as well, as a whole. Anky van Grunsven's gold as well, when dressage for some reason was still a bit of a thing to watch, and Jochem Uytdehaage's record breaking double gold in Salt Lake.

Surely some rowing from the 80's or 90's as well, but I'd have no idea in which discipline they won gold other than the 'Holland Acht' in 1996 which is definitely in the list.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

54 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Easy :d

1srt Place, that Slfkovsky goal from the canteen (The first one in this highlights, you can not miss it) :p

2. The remontada and win over Yuesey in the quarterfinals with the tying goal 40 seconds to go in a rare slovak empty net power play goal

3. The first ever win over Canada in 1994 at our first Olympic appearance which resulted in National Holiday (Kinda Saudi Arabia of Central Europe :p)

4. First :SVK Gold in our first Summer Olympic appearance won by a 16 years old rookie on the wild Ocoee river

5. Marián Gáborík "Gala-show"

Thanks for the videos! Good idea with that,

PS. Where is GOLF??? :-)

@rafalgorkaKusociński is maybe remembered for winning 1932 gold but the TV footage is hardly shown on TV. The one moment that is always shown is Wojciech Fortuna's 1972 first jump and they never show the extremely bad second jump :p  I don't recall anything from Małysz's SLC jumps, the hype was obviously enormous but all I see is Fortuna's jump in my mind :lol: Hell, Malinowski's steeplechase finish from 1980 gets more coverage too.

Just now, Monzanator said:

@rafalgorkaKusociński is maybe remembered for winning 1932 gold but the TV footage is hardly shown on TV. The one moment that is always shown is Wojciech Fortuna's 1972 first jump and they never show the extremely bad second jump :p  I don't recall anything from Małysz's SLC jumps, the hype was obviously enormous but all I see is Fortuna's jump in my mind :lol: Hell, Malinowski's steeplechase finish from 1980 gets more coverage too.

Maybe you are right.

I said, these are my early thoughts...

Talking about athletics finishes: Ellen van Langen's 800m gold in 1992, that should definitely be on the list as well in terms of iconic moments here :d 

Without any doubt also the 2021 silver for the men's 4x400m and Abdi Nageeye in the marathon, but that's a bit too 'fresh' for now to be mentioned here I think, although they will definitely remain in memory.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!