website statistics

Name the 5 biggest gold medal hopes for your country in Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

luckily, Italy has a lot of medal contenders...

unfortunately, we don't have many "clear favorite" to win gold...

so, once again I'm going with a few events where I'd like the most Italy to win gold, those closer to my heart, at least:

- Fencing: all events (and I mean literally all 12 events), but especially men's Team Sabre

- Judo: all events (only where we have a shot, of course), but especially Alice Bellandi in the women's -78kg and Manuel Lombardo in the men's -73kg

- Wrestling: Frank Chamizo in the men's Freestyle -74kg

- Swimming: super-Greg (Paltrinieri) completing the double 1500m Freestyle in the pool + 10km in the Open Water

- Cycling: Filippo "Top" Ganna completing the double Road Time Trial + Team Pursuit on the Track (and why not? going for the Triple Crown, adding also the men's Madison -together with Elia Viviani- on the Track)

- Athletics: Marcell Jacobs repeating himself in the men's 100m, just to shut those fuckin' mouths from USA and GBR up once and forever :pope:

26 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Definitely not Gold medal favs, but they should win a couple of medals for sure, Weightlifting & Boxing are the main chances I guess, not sure Carapaz can retain his title in a rather sprint course

Which category in weightlifting is the best for them?

:GRE

1. Miltiadis Tentoglou (athletics - men's long jump)

I think this is the most obvious choice for us, he won gold in Tokyo and seems to be the overwhelming favourite to win gold in Paris despite only winning silver at the 2022 World Championships (although he did win gold at the 2022 World Indoor Championships).

2. Eleftherios Petrounias (gymnastics - men's rings)

He won gold in Rio and bronze in Tokyo. He seems to be back on track this year after dealing with injuries for a couple years. He won gold at the European Championships. He didn't compete at the World Championships, but his score at the European Championships would've been enough for gold at the World Championships.

3. Elina Tzengko (athletics - women's javelin throw)

She won gold at the European Championships this year as a 19 year old with 65.81m. She has already established herself as a contender for gold in Paris, and since she is so young she will likely improve even more over the next two years.

4. Men's National Team (water polo)

We won silver in Tokyo with a young team. In 2022 we had some injuries but still managed to win bronze at the World Championships. I think we will do better at the 2023 World Championships with a full, healthy team hopefully.

5. Maria Sakkari and Stefanos Tsitsipas (tennis - mixed doubles)

This might sound surprising but I think they will do better now than they did in Tokyo. In Tokyo, Tsitsipas was injured and they lost in the quarterfinals to Australia. Sakkari has also improved a lot since Tokyo and became a top player. Having the Olympics on clay will also benefit them as they play better on that surface, especially Tsitsipas. Also he is a good doubles player with good volleys, and Maria is not but she has a good serve which is important for women to have in mixed doubles.

I didn't include our other Olympic gold medalists. Anna Korakaki would probably be number 6, but shooting is too random for us to expect a gold from her. Stefanos Ntouskos and Ekaterini Stefanidi I think can win medals in Paris but I don't think gold.

Summary of first choices #2

:ARG Hockey - Women's Tournament

:CAN Swimming - Women's 400m Individual Medley

:CHN Table Tennis - Women's Team

:DEN Badminton - Men's Singles

:FRA Handball - Men's Tournament

:GBR Cycling Mountain Bike - Men's Cross-country

:GRE Athletics - Men's Long Jump

:IRL Rowing - Men's Lightweight Double Sculls

:ITA Fencing - Men's Team Sabre

:LTU Athletics - Men's Discus Throw

:POL Athletics - Men's Hammer Throw

:SWE Athletics - Men's Pole Vault

Netherlands :NED has a lot of medal contenders, but unfortunately not many clear favourites for gold. 

Well, my top 5:

1. Rowing: women single sculls (Karolien Florijn)

2. Hockey: women's team

3. Hockey: men's team

4. BMX: women's race (Merel Smulders)

5. Swimming: women's 200 breaststroke (Tes Schouten) 

I predict a lot of silver and bronze, especially for our superstars in athletics (Femke Bol, who is without a chance against Sydney McLaughlin), in cycling track (Harrie Lavreysen will be without a chance against Mikhail Jakovlev) and in swimming (Arno Kamminga is without a chance against Adam Peaty). 

1 hour ago, CCB said:

Netherlands :NED has a lot of medal contenders, but unfortunately not many clear favourites for gold. 

Well, my top 5:

1. Rowing: women single sculls (Karolien Florijn)

2. Hockey: women's team

3. Hockey: men's team

4. BMX: women's race (Merel Smulders)

5. Swimming: women's 200 breaststroke (Tes Schouten) 

I predict a lot of silver and bronze, especially for our superstars in athletics (Femke Bol, who is without a chance against Sydney McLaughlin), in cycling track (Harrie Lavreysen will be without a chance against Mikhail Jakovlev) and in swimming (Arno Kamminga is without a chance against Adam Peaty). 

Please tell me that Schouten is a joke ... ?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.