website statistics

Women's Football UEFA European Championship 2022

Totallympics

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The only annoying thing about this is the "It's coming home" stuff from the grandstands, but other than that, yeah....too bad for Sweden, but they are thoroughly overwhelmed :d 

6 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I would definitely enjoy seeing Bronze winning it, she is one of the best players and always shines in these kind of tournaments too. As for Germany or France, I don't have that particular feeling.

However, English football fans, I never liked the attitude of some of them. I can see how the 'coming home' stuff comes off as annoying.

People from outside England always misunderstand "It's coming home"... it is from a song called Three Lions was made for Euro 96 that was hosted in England (hence football literally came 'home') but the lyrics aren't about arrogance but about loyalty and hope despite many failures: "Thirty years of hurt never stopped me dreaming"

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

As for the game... 4-0 over :SWE and playing :GER or hopefully :FRA in the final. Honestly people might be getting carried away. :SWE haven't been amazing in this tournament and all our great results are meaningless if we don't win the final. But what a positive performance at both ends of the pitch

In brotherhood unfold

2 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

People from outside England always misunderstand "It's coming home"... it is from a song called Three Lions was made for Euro 96 that was hosted in England (hence football literally came 'home') but the lyrics aren't about arrogance but about loyalty and hope despite many failures: "Thirty years of hurt never stopped me dreaming"

It's more about the 'claiming' of the most global sport in the world as their own, because some people a billion years ago started playing it there :p 

I do hope they win it though, looking at the remaining teams. They'd deserve it without a doubt.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

As for the game... 4-0 over :SWE and playing :GER or hopefully :FRA in the final. Honestly people might be getting carried away. :SWE haven't been amazing in this tournament and all our great results are meaningless if we don't win the final. But what a positive performance at both ends of the pitch

On the other hand, Germany had huge troubles beating an incredibly mediocre Austria, while France also hasn't really faced a decent team yet..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

On the other hand, Germany had huge troubles beating an incredibly mediocre Austria, while France also hasn't really faced a decent team yet..

Germany only looked really stable against Spain. They don’t give away many opportunities. These final two games could well be two borefests.

England had major problems with Austria themselves. Austria was probably the best team this tournament past the semifinalists and Spain. Still a huge skill gap, offensively they were mediocre at best indeed.

If you needed a sign of just how far the English women's football team has come on in recent years, there is no better indication that this. A Scottish fan traveling to an England game to cheer them on.....

To cheer on Sweden of course:

@Grassmarket is this you? :d

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

If you needed a sign of just how far the English women's football team has come on in recent years, there is no better indication that this. A Scottish fan traveling to an England game to cheer them on.....

To cheer on Sweden of course:

@Grassmarket is this you? :d

No, I do not begrudge England sporting success in sports like women’s football or sepak takraw.

I didn't write any messages about this tournament until today's semi-final. Today may be a historic event in our women's football. For the first time (!) our team can leave a major tournament with a medal around its neck. 

I want to express my opinion about the matches played by the team at this tournament, as well as about the upcoming semi-finals.

:FRA 5 - 1 :ITA The very first match of the tournament. And immediately a major victory. Everyone started saying that France is one of the main favorites.

:FRA 2 - 1 :BEL A modest game, compared to the game with Italy. For me, the main reason was the sweat of the main striker - Marie-Antoinette Katoto

:FRA 1 - 1 :ISL I think the lack of motivation is the main reason for the draw

:FRA 1 - 0 :NED Probably the most discussed game of our team before and after the match. France dominated all components of the game, especially in the first quarter and in extra time. We couldn't score in one hundred percent scoring situations. But this does not mean that this strange situation will continue throughout the tournament.

Regarding today's match, I hope our team will be able to demonstrate good football. I'm waiting for goals from Cascarino and Diani, because they deserve more than one goal in the tournament.

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It's more about the 'claiming' of the most global sport in the world as their own, because some people a billion years ago started playing it there :p 

I do hope they win it though, looking at the remaining teams. They'd deserve it without a doubt.

Well types of "football" have existed for ages such as Rugby, Gaelic football etc and medieval types of football that go back to China, but THIS type of football certainly came from England (and in fact came from Sheffield, the city where England won yesterday)

In brotherhood unfold

10 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

Well, two years later it was still "coming home", so I'm not sure what was supposed to come home this time :p

Nice song(s) anyway.