website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

4 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

I still find it a bit of “small team” style to celebrate the defeat of others instead of the winning (specially being the most important trophy of football), but again, if you win such a trophy (and specially if you normally play in clubs that don’t win nothing) you are allowed to celebrate the way you like, no matter how jerk can it look. 

Those guys should get some kind of statues for bringing so much happiness to that many people 

In Germany multiple former national players basically said that in the past (for example at the 2006 world cup) they experienced argentinian players both as bad losers and (even worse) as bad winners, so this seems to be an argentinian tradition.

I also think that i get what Mbappe wanted to say:

Before 2022 south american teams hadn't won a title since 2002 and only made 1 of the past 3 finals (Argentina in 2014), but more importantly the argentinian/brazilian league are lightyears behind the top european leagues and less and less players from there make it at the best european clubs. In general football in south america didn't keep up with the developments in europe and at past tournaments you could often see that they weren't at the same level as european teams tactically. When you take all this into consideration, you have to give huge credit to Scaloni and his team. In the past south american teams often had more individual talent than european teams, but were behind when it came to tactics. This time Argentina had clearly less individual talent than France, but they were at least on the same level tactically and also seemed like more of a team (i think this is also the reason why teams like Morocco or Croatia also made it that far, despite their lack of individual quality). If i remember correctly, at the 1978 world cup only one player of the argentinian squad played outside of Argentina. I think today it would be unthinkable for Argentina to win a world cup with this approach.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

54 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

In Germany multiple former national players basically said that in the past (for example at the 2006 world cup) they experienced argentinian players both as bad losers and (even worse) as bad winners, so this seems to be an argentinian tradition.

I also think that i get what Mbappe wanted to say:

Before 2022 south american teams hadn't won a title since 2002 and only made 1 of the past 3 finals (Argentina in 2014), but more importantly the argentinian/brazilian league are lightyears behind the top european leagues and less and less players from there make it at the best european clubs. In general football in south america didn't keep up with the developments in europe and at past tournaments you could often see that they weren't at the same level as european teams tactically. When you take all this into consideration, you have to give huge credit to Scaloni and his team. In the past south american teams often had more individual talent than european teams, but were behind when it came to tactics. This time Argentina had clearly less individual talent than France, but they were at least on the same level tactically and also seemed like more of a team (i think this is also the reason why teams like Morocco or Croatia also made it that far, despite their lack of individual quality). If i remember correctly, at the 1978 world cup only one player of the argentinian squad played outside of Argentina. I think today it would be unthinkable for Argentina to win a world cup with this approach.

I think everyone understood that was the meaning of mbappe. And even today it makes sense I mean for two times Argentina was winning 2-0 and instead of playing it in a defensive way they kept attacking and ended up suffering 2 goals.

I believe if it would be an European team they would park the bus the moment they would reach 2-0 in a final match with a team like France

4 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

I think everyone understood that was the meaning of mbappe. And even today it makes sense I mean for two times Argentina was winning 2-0 and instead of playing it in a defensive way they kept attacking and ended up suffering 2 goals.

I believe if it would be an European team they would park the bus the moment they would reach 2-0 in a final match with a team like France

Obviously you are wrong. If everyone would have understood his intention, then noone could have justified being outraged.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I see Emiliano Martinez is still going on with the fake news things about Van Gaal? :lol: 

It's interesting how apparently, somehow media in Argentina came with things like "Van Gaal criticized Di Maria" and "Van Gaal said NED would easily win the penalties" and everyone seems to believe it :d 

(When he was actually complimenting Di Maria, despite Di Maria apparently calling him 'his worst coach ever', and he actually said he believed to have an advantage in the penalties because of the preparations, not 'we will easily win it' or something :lol:)

Oh well, it's the age of fake news for a reason, and the imagined quotes and such did work to get the players all aggressive. So that tactic worked out well at least :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Another stat. Only 12 of 172 goals were scored from outside the penalty box (7%). That's a major decline compared to Euro 2020 (19/142 goals, 13%).

The far left red dot is the Bruno Fernandes cross that wasn't even a shot to begin with :p  Moreover only 24% of goals were scored from set pieces (PK, free kick, corner) compared to 44% of those goals being scored in 2018 World Cup.

FkSScHvWYAELyhy?format=jpg&name=small

4 hours ago, hckošice said:

Andre Onana announced his retirement from :CMR national team, claiming he achieved his childhood dream to represent Cameroon at WC and now he can leave and focus on his club career :d

He'll be back when Song leaves imo