website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And the Antilles :p

To relate this to sports: Antilles you mostly see in athletics or baseball, while Suriname you see significantly more in things like kickboxing, where the world was dominated for years by Suriname-Dutch athletes like Tyrone Spong, Ernesto Hoost, Remy Bonjasky etc.

In football...there isn't really anything specific, as far as it's important (which it of course isn't).

Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard had Surinamese fathers. Also Bryan Roy, Aron Winter, Patrick Kluivert, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf came from Suriname

42 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Lahoz was never getting another game after QF even if he didn't completely suck.

Here is the second list of retained refs:

AFC: al-Jassim (QAT), Muhammad (UAE)
-CAF: Ghorbal (ALG)
-CONCACAF: Ramos (MEX), Elfath (USA)
-CONMEBOL: Claus (BRA), Sampaio (BRA), Valenzuela (VEN)
-UEFA: Taylor (ENG), Orsato (ITA) Makkelie (NED), Marciniak (POL)

Makkelie or Marciniak will get the FRA vs MOR semi-final and Cesar Ramos probably gets the final IMO.

The AFC refs will work the 3rd place playoff (one as 4O).

the Qatari referee would definitely be awarded 3rd place match , i don't remember he officiated anything here i guess he was the VAR referee in France vs Tunisia game and was the reason to cancel Griezmann goal in the dying minutes :d

35 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

the Qatari referee would definitely be awarded 3rd place match , i don't remember he officiated anything here i guess he was the VAR referee in France vs Tunisia game and was the reason to cancel Griezmann goal in the dying minutes :d

Al-Jassim was the referee for USA vs Wales. The referee from UAE is more experienced though so he should get the main gig rather than 4O.

3 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

He actually will be main ref on :FRA  v. :MAR 

Confirmed? Hmm, that leaves Makkelie and the Polish guy as main favourites for the final?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

By Espn Mexico.

Just read it here as well now. Advantage of your country being out before the semi's, at least you can cheer for your referees :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, konig said:

Well, we are a little surprise here because its not the first time someone of North America did a jorunalistic note about this, like argentinian i have to say this:

Surprise, surprise. Getting a little on the nerves when someone from a foreign country is bringing Identity politics to your national team ?

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

I bet on a Brazilian ref if ARG is not in the final.

and a European man if ARG is in the final act.

If Argentina makes the final then it will be Marciniak I guess. An english ref would make some noise here and a dutch after what happened too... :d

About the racism article, my two cents. The premise and the title are obviously clickbait (and it worked! It has become a topic here for the last days). It lacks some facts for context to explain the premise and the math is a bit biased to cherry pick and back the main argument. But gotta say I agree with the general idea of the article (we as a country negate our black and indigenous history) and it raises some interesting topics for debate. Historically there have been quite fewer blacks here than other countries of the continent per slave trade matters. But is also true that the political leaders of the 19th century wanted to create a "whiter" and "better" country with "anglo" immigrants (and actually most of them were instead poor italians and spanish workers :p  ) and there has been racism and killings of indigenous people like in... about everywhere else in the world.

It's true that most argentinians you'll meet are children or grandchildren of italian or spanish people that travelled here in the last 100 years. And that's why we think about ourselves as a european country in South America. But in reality most of us have some root of indigenous people as well and we are mostly a mixed of everything (black, indigenous, white, mestizos, etc.) now.