website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

One Polish portal just run a story how Morocco represents the entire Arab world and yeah, I can see why Maghreb region is running behind Morocco even if Algeria was a French colony and Morocco was a Spanish colony etc.

National identity and a separate ethnic identity to cheer for if the national one doesn't work, it does give one double chances to feel like winning, that's smart :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

National identity and a separate ethnic identity to cheer for if the national one doesn't work, it does give one double chances to feel like winning, that's smart :p

You might ask @hckošiceif he's cheering for Czech Republic? :p

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I dunno, it is quite similar almost everywhere I guess. We also cheers like fools for Czechs (if we not play against obviously) and no one looks at it as something unordinary at all

4 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I dunno, it is quite similar almost everywhere I guess. We also cheers like fools for Czechs (if we not play against obviously) and no one looks at it as something unordinary at all

But you were at least one country not that long ago.

We might be in the same corner as Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and such, but I have no idea why I'd cheer for them other than because I like a certain player or team (but as usual, the flag behind the name isn't relevant for that) :p

Anyway, in the end people should of course just cheer for whoever they want, free world and all :d

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But you were at least one country not that long ago.

yeah and we were a region of Hungary for almost a millenium and 82 % of inhabitants of Slovakia will most likely I assure you never cheer for a Hungarian in his entire life :p so that´s not really a point

National identity is indeed extremely complex.

We can see some Portuguese flags on balconies and windows in Rio de Janeiro, but if you ask most people how they feel about Portugal, most would say they'd rather want Portugal to lose. Same thing with Latin Americans when Spain was defeated; I saw lots of posts on social media mocking Spain coming from Latin Americans.

Funny thing is that Portugal apparently has a large number of people who support Brazil, watch Brazilian soaps and TV series, but everything that comes from Portugal is virtually unknown in Brazil. And God forbid you mention to a Brazilian that Portuguese spoken in Portugal is the "correct" way to speak.