website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

Terrible day for me. All 4 teams I didn't want to win today did indeed win.

Is it now I should be happy that Sweden isn’t in these World Cup? Actually I just want good games. Enjoy it much more without Sweden :clap:

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Two commentators?

One of the main Mexican channels put 5 today, and it’s rival has always 3.

Needless to say, is more a circus than a proper and interesting broadcast.

Only radio stations have decent coverage of football matches in Mexico.

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Two commentators? :yikes:

Huh, never heard that with football. Basically just with cycling that's common here I think.

And I'm also not a fan of the commentators you yell and scream just for the heck of it :p

In Portugal we have three minimum (one main commenting, the second saying additional things, and a third one in the field saying additional useless stuff), and sometimes 4 with someone else in some other place of the field doing the same useless thing.

it’s horrible, absolutely too much.

on the other hand, and although I’m not a fan of screaming commentators, Dutch commentators are so without emotion, sometimes I feel they simply don’t care that a goal was scored haha

the biggest shock is sometimes where almost a minute (or more) passes without no word being spoken by the commentator. I’m pretty sure the guy there is just checking his instagram during the match 😂

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

One of the main Mexican channels put 5 today, and it’s rival has always 3.

Needless to say, is more a circus than a proper and interesting broadcast.

Only radio stations have decent coverage of football matches in Mexico.

One of the best things about the coverage in the UK is the option to play the radio commentary alongside the TV pictures.

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

At least you're not from :WAL with a family history from :CAN. I've not had a good World Cup so far...

Dude you have 2 teams there. Look, we are not there at all :p

At least I have my "adoptive" country to cheer for :d

Edited by hckošice

1 minute ago, kungshamra71 said:

In Portugal we have three minimum (one main commenting, the second saying additional things, and a third one in the field saying additional useless stuff), and sometimes 4 with someone else in some other place of the field doing the same useless thing.

it’s horrible, absolutely too much.

on the other hand, and although I’m not a fan of screaming commentators, Dutch commentators are so without emotion, sometimes I feel they simply don’t care that a goal was scored haha

the biggest shock is sometimes where almost a minute (or more) passes without no word being spoken by the commentator. I’m pretty sure the guy there is just checking his instagram during the match 😂

A good commentator knows when nothing is happening for a bit :p

And they do have emotion, but they generally talk about what's happening, whereas those "gooooooool" screamers mostly come across as if they missed the goal and have no idea what happened, so they'll just keep yelling until the replay :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, Belle said:

Is it now I should be happy that Sweden isn’t in these World Cup? Actually I just want good games. Enjoy it much more without Sweden :clap:

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not like I want these teams not to win so Brazil can win. I couldn't care less about Brazil winning here, especially because I really hate Neymar and I hope he retires without ever being world champion. It's just that I root for the smaller teams (or any team playing against Argentina, to be honest :p). 

Edited by thiago_simoes

Commentators and narrators are always the centre of complainings from the audience here. 

For this WC the channel which has the rights is following their tradicional procedure for football matches. One narrator, two commentators (usually a journalist and a former player) and plus a former referee for the referees' decisions.

But I hate those choices, especially for former players. There are so many people who study a lot to work with it, and at the end, they choose only former athletes - not only in football - who are not capable to give good commentaries, or even speak decent portuguese. Some of them you can see that they are clearly not prepared to do this work, once they dont even know some players.