website statistics

Biathlon IBU Junior Cup 2022 - 2023

Totallympics

• 2 months later...

Wow!  The Junior event has tons of nations.

Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Spain, Estonia, Great Britain, Greece, Greenland, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Switzerland, Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine.  

Plus many smaller nations have more than one athlete!

Yup, I was very happy to see the diversity, hoping that it extends past the junior years.

Also, excited to see South Korea with full junior squads, they could've easily pulled a "China" after their Olympics, but they stayed invested in the sport and even stopped importing Russians. 

10 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Wow!  The Junior event has tons of nations.

Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Spain, Estonia, Great Britain, Greece, Greenland, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Switzerland, Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine.  

Plus many smaller nations have more than one athlete!

But no Norway or France (or Russia) + many of the best talents are Competing in Senior IBU Cup instead. Those Things will have to be Kept in mind when Looking at the results.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Actually the lack of those teams, plus Belarus and the US as well make me even more encouraged.   I have no issues at all when people "play up" a level if they are ready.  It is often best for their long term development.  I am just excited to see lots of nations making an effort to be there. 

Convincing win for Scattolo from Italy (Born 2003). I think she has the quality to finish Top 10-15 in the Senior IBU Cup with Good shooting. Hard to imagine that the Italian IBU Cup Team is Too Strong for her to make the Team. Hopefully she will get a chance soon. Andexer from Austria and Zorc from Slovenia also with promising skiing times. Only the top 2 were within a minute, so that isn’t a good sign for the overall depth (with France/Norway/Russia missing).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Actually the lack of those teams, plus Belarus and the US as well make me even more encouraged.   I have no issues at all when people "play up" a level if they are ready.  It is often best for their long term development.  I am just excited to see lots of nations making an effort to be there. 

Just a little sidenote: for Brazil I'm 99,99% sure it's just for the free IBU money one (read: the federation) gets for starting a race and they don't at all care about the results (at least the shooting part, I suppose they simply use it - other than for the free money - to get some more racing rhythm for the cross-country races) :p 

Could well be the same for other small nations of course, but that I don't know.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 shot clean in the women's race, but one was over 8 min behind, while shooting clean.  

I actually missed a nation, Chile is there, but she struggled.  9 missed shots and +32 min back.

If you look at the winning time of about 24 min.  Figure that each lap was 7:30 for her.  Everyone from spot 70th on back would have been lapped at least once by her, and some multiple times.  

I guess this speaks to the lack of depth.  But on the positive side of things, this also speaks to the initial success of the more focused efforts of the IBU to invest in Regional Development.

55 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

But, Congrats Cloetens for getting a podium for Belgium!:BEL

And not with shooting luck or something, but the very fastest skiing time of all, with only one other girl within 20 seconds of her and only four other girls within a minute :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!