website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2022

Unironically, the toughest TISC I ever had to judge in.

It's a lot lot simpler when you identify yourself with and love the selection, it also reminded me why I'm more of TAISC guy opposed to a TOISC guy :p

My top 2 were generally very solid songs with barely nothing to fault them with, on an island of their own whilst I had hunger games between positions 3 and 16.

One song I really enjoy, but the badly mixed drums are not letting me have a good time. One song has a very engaging melody, but it goes downhill later on. One song has a good chorus, but I wouldn't recall a single note from the verse and I listened to these songs a whole lot. One song is nice, but hard to get hyped to, because it was recorded in a well. One song is fun, but hard to vibe to, because it sounds recorded a hundred years ago. 

So many little details that would've been avoided in this day and age. Many songs really lacked that technical quality that we're spoiled with what sound engineers can provide today. Sadly, the level of production is very important for me when engaging with music, so this year there's been very many unexpected results in my camp :p 

Should be a very interesting contest though and I can't wait to see how the top 5 will look. Seeing as I've never missed a TISC, this time I have a fairly good hunch on who I think will probably win, but I've been wrong many times before :d 

Best of luck to everyone and hopefully we don't lose anyone during the voting phase. 

18 minutes ago, Vektor said:

So the Grand Final will be on Nov 6th, one week after the voting ends? I mean, it's not impossible to prepare everything in 9 days, but it won't be easy for the host, so I am just doublechecking that the Final's date is correct. 

Well, it would be enough if the hosts are using your scripts to tabulate all scoreboards and templates. :d

#banbestmen

48 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, it would be enough if the hosts are using your scripts to tabulate all scoreboards and templates. :d

I was a bit lazy when I made that. And by that I mean it's not user friendly, I would have to rework it if someone else wants to use those scripts. When I was hosting I was burned out on coding so I decided to simply use an Excel spreadsheet instead to calculate stuff. The spreadsheet calculated the results and then I exported those results to html tables via a Python script. Simple enough for me, but for anyone else it's kinda complicated for no good reason. 

Essentially I would have to write the entire logic of the voting system into a Python script that calculates everything, that would be the most user friendly solution. I should have done that in the first place for the previous contest, but oh well... I mean, it's not that hard to do, I just never got around to do it and right now I don't have the time for it. Hopefully it will be done by the time of the next contest. 

If the host is struggling to create the scoreboards in time, they can contact me for help. I can create all the scoreboards in a couple of hours, but they would have to reveal all the votes for me before the final. Which is not ideal, but it can be an emergency solution if that's the only way we can avoid another Open 2021 situation. 

Edited by Vektor

47 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I was a bit lazy when I made that. And by that I mean it's not user friendly, I would have to rework it if someone else wants to use those scripts. When I was hosting I was burned out on coding so I decided to simply use an Excel spreadsheet instead to calculate stuff. The spreadsheet calculated the results and then I exported those results to html tables via a Python script. Simple enough for me, but for anyone else it's kinda complicated for no good reason. 

Essentially I would have to write the entire logic of the voting system into a Python script that calculates everything, that would be the most user friendly solution. I should have done that in the first place for the previous contest, but oh well... I mean, it's not that hard to do, I just never got around to do it and right now I don't have the time for it. Hopefully it will be done by the time of the next contest. 

If the host is struggling to create the scoreboards in time, they can contact me for help. I can create all the scoreboards in a couple of hours, but they would have to reveal all the votes for me before the final. Which is not ideal, but it can be an emergency solution if that's the only way we can avoid another Open 2021 situation. 

We probably won't ever have a contest that was as easy and fun to follow as the one that you've hosted. You having experience in coding pretty much explains that :d   When I hosted, I had barely any time to prepare at all, because I had huge workloads as well as uni at the time, so I literally live-counted every scoreboard after every individual country voted :lol: 

I'm proud that I only made a 1 point mistake during the entire day, which I caught during a break. I had 12 minute windows to copy/paste and count, whilst also updating the top 5 score card regularly, thank goodness Mr. Internet was not breaking down on that faithful day :d 

Edit: forgot to mention that in those 12 minute windows I also had to post like 75% of the countries' votes, it was a long day :d 

Edited by Werloc

Down to 18 songs. :water: Can I award points to all of them? :d What an enjoyable edition this is turning out to be.

Four songs are still in contention for the maximum 12 points... Crazy. This has never happened to me before.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen