website statistics
Jump to content

Rowing FISA World Championships 2022


Totallympics
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Finalists in Olympic class events (14 max)

 

11 :GBR

10 :NED

8 :AUS:ROU

4 :CHN:IRL:NZL:SUI:USA 

3 :ESP:FRA:GRE:UKR

2 :CAN:CRO:GER:ITA 

1 :AUT:CZE:EST:MDA:NOR:POL:SRB

 

China and Austria have no men's qualifiers. Italy, Czechia, Estonia, Moldova, Norway, Poland and Serbia have no women's qualifiers. Figures includes the women 8 where there were no qualification races

 

Very good results from the Netherlands so far. Romania confirming they are on the way back while Germany seem to be going in the opposite direction. Not sure where NZ are at the moment but not as good results as we've come to expect. Retirements after Tokyo a factor I guess. 

 

Disappointing from Italy and I can't help wondering why they are putting so much effort into the non-Olympic classes where they won five golds today albeit against limited opposition with one exception. Funding perhaps?

Edited by Nickyc707
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Very good results from the Netherlands so far. Romania confirming they are on the way back while Germany seem to be going in the opposite direction. Not sure where NZ are at the moment but not as good results as we've come to expect. Retirements after Tokyo a factor I guess. 

 

Disappointing from Italy and I can't help wondering why they are putting so much effort into the non-Olympic classes where they won five golds today albeit against limited opposition with one exception. Funding perhaps?

funding (or, better, federation's politics to show they're winning medals and therefore they deserve more consideration/funding) is one reason, but we also have a problem to find big men and women to be really competitive in the senior boats.

 

we still have a lot of guys practicing the sport (but also a high rate of early retirements, compared to other sports, because rowing is truly an amateur discipline, there's no chance to make even reasonable money with it, even if you win the Olympic gold), but our population is basically average sized, so we have a lot of good rowers in the lightweight classes, but we lack people in the senior ranks (and often we use lightweights also in the senior boats).

 

moreover, the current coaches are obsessed with the Eights and are destroying the pairs and fours to put our best rowers on the main boat (but normally they don't have the same approach and results when they go on the Eight, there's no chemistry among those used to be good in the shorter boats when they are together on the longer one), wasting chances to shine in the other events.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

 

we still have a lot of guys practicing the sport, but our population is basically average sized, so we have a lot of good rowers in the lightweight classes, but we lack people in the senior ranks (and often we use lightweights also in the senior boats

You have 38K rowers and 236 clubs.

 

For comparison, Canada has 12K rowers and New Zealand 3K. 

 

How I know this? I watched some rowing seminar on yt once for no reason :lol: btw we and Chile have around 800 rowers and Uruguay 300.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good results from the Dutch rowers. But only the two skiffeurs have a real chance of winning gold, in the other boats there is at most a battle for silver and bronze. I expect Romania and GB at the top of the medal table of the 14 Olympic boat classes.

 

Hopefully the Dutch female rowers from the W2- and W2+ will soon return in fours so that they can compete for gold in that boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, phelps said:

funding (or, better, federation's politics to show they're winning medals and therefore they deserve more consideration/funding) is one reason, but we also have a problem to find big men and women to be really competitive in the senior boats.

 

we still have a lot of guys practicing the sport (but also a high rate of early retirements, compared to other sports, because rowing is truly an amateur discipline, there's no chance to make even reasonable money with it, even if you win the Olympic gold), but our population is basically average sized, so we have a lot of good rowers in the lightweight classes, but we lack people in the senior ranks (and often we use lightweights also in the senior boats).

 

moreover, the current coaches are obsessed with the Eights and are destroying the pairs and fours to put our best rowers on the main boat (but normally they don't have the same approach and results when they go on the Eight, there's no chemistry among those used to be good in the shorter boats when they are together on the longer one), wasting chances to shine in the other events.

Which begs the question why target the eights if you have a shortage of suitable athletes? I always think of two and four-man boats as being Italy's speciality.

Edited by Nickyc707
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

You have 38K rowers and 236 clubs.

 

For comparison, Canada has 12K rowers and New Zealand 3K. 

 

How I know this? I watched some rowing seminar on yt once for no reason :lol: btw we and Chile have around 800 rowers and Uruguay 300.

Did you know then how many clubs and registeres rowers Poland have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rybak said:

Did you know then how many clubs and registeres rowers Poland have?

Nope, sorry, it only showed a few countries to give a reference to the audience (mostly latinamerican coaches).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rybak said:

Terrible results from Polish rowers, its pathetic...

It might be some consolation that there may be hope for the future. At the U23 European Championships earlier this month Poland finished in second place in the medal table with seven medals including three golds.

Edited by Nickyc707
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...