website statistics

Rowing FISA World Championships 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

I'm more sanguine about the lightweights. I think the IOC wants them out and Paris will likely be their last hurrah. Rowing is looking at beach sprint rowing/coastal rowing as alternatives.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1113562/coastal-rowing-la2028-rolland-olympics

And see the proposed programme including a mixed event at the end of this article.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1128099/ioc-satisfied-rowing-la28

Rowing sprints? Wut? Even a 6 minute rowing race is deemed too long by IOC now? :crazy:

35 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Rowing sprints? Wut? Even a 6 minute rowing race is deemed too long by IOC now? :crazy:

You've clearly never tried rowing through sand! 😊

Apparently its about 500m plus the running to and from the boat.

https://www.rowingnews.com/2021/06/22/rowings-expanding-frontier-beach-sprints/

Edited by Nickyc707

2 hours ago, RiderJake said:

Tell us more about what happened in 1995...

Laurie Mains and other senior AB officials claimed the players had been poisoned by Suzie the waitress prior to their defeat in the RWC final. Turns out Suzie never existed.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-10128478.html

Edited by Nickyc707

Ntouskos finishing 2nd in his quarterfinal is a bit disappointing although I still like his chances to win a medal. After all, he finished 2nd in his quarterfinal in Tokyo and still went on to win Olympic gold :d

Papakonstantinou just incredible. 1st in his quarterfinal and 1st in his semifinal. He seems to be the favourite to win gold here.

Kalandaridis/Palaiopanos finishing 2nd in their quarterfinal is also good, they're looking in good shape to make it to Paris. Tokyo was a joke where we only had 1 male rower after having 8 male rowers in both London and Rio, so with them doing well it gives us hope to have a bigger team again.

Fragkou/Natsioula coming 5th out of 6th in the repechage is disappointing. They led after 1000m and were 3rd after 1500m. It seems they just ran out of gas in the end, but both are just teenagers. They have 3 full days to rest before Sunday's C Final so hopefully they can have a good showing there. I still think this is a boat that can make it to Paris as they are so young and should do much better next year.

Fitsiou finished 2nd in her semifinal which is great. She was poor in the heats (4th) but is doing better now. I'm not confident in her winning a medal although I'd happily be proven wrong. Although she's a lightweight rower I'd like to see her try to qualify in the women's single for Paris.

Anastasiadou/Kontou making the final is just incredible. They are 20 and 16 (!!!) and made the A Final of an Olympic boat class at the World Championships. Again, I see no reason why we can't expect a medal from them in Paris provided they stay healthy. Both of them (especially Kontou) will probably be so much better in two years.

Edited by Makedonas

A lot of discussion about lightweight rowing possibly dying out. It would be sad to see it go (I guess I'm biased because Greece has good lightweight rowers), but also I think people underestimate how good some of these lightweight rowers are.

20 yo Evangelia Anastasiadou, who is 165cm, won silver in W1X at the European Championships last month, beating out the likes of Alexandra Foester and Magdalena Lobnig.

And let's not forget that Stefanos Ntouskos competed in a lightweight event in Rio, and then in Tokyo won gold in M1X.

Edited by Makedonas

26 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

A lot of discussion about lightweight rowing possibly dying out. It would be sad to see it go (I guess I'm biased because Greece has good lightweight rowers), but also I think people underestimate how good some of these lightweight rowers are.

20 yo Evangelia Anastasiadou, who is 165cm, won silver in W1X at the European Championships last month, beating out the likes of Alexandra Foester and Magdalena Lobnig.

And let's not forget that Stefanos Ntouskos competed in a lightweight event in Rio, and then in Tokyo won gold in M1X.

The lightweight fours in particular, often provided great races because the crews have such similar physiques.

Not even a single final for team Lithuania, this has to be the most disastrous championship performance for us in decades :(

The only saving grace I guess is that only the men's quadruple sculls and men's single sculls were only boats with hefty experience.

Karalienė and Rimkutė, 4th in the European Championships double sculls formed a new quadruple sculls boat and this was their very first race.

Stankūnas brothers, 4th in the European Championships as well, underperformed here, but came here from a recent world junior championship win, so perhaps they didn't peak here.

First competitive season for the men's four and the first competitive season for the newly formed men's double sculls, but I expected more after they took bronze in ECH.

Feels like all of this setup is for the Olympic qualification, but it's still rather depressing to go out this way with like 4-5 B finals.