website statistics

Rowing FISA World Championships 2022

Totallympics

Disappointing to see that Team GB are not fielding entries across all of the Olympic events. No Women's 8, Men's Double Sculls or Men's Lightweight Double Sculls.

Given the much improved performance of the team since the relative disaster of the Tokyo regatta, I had hoped that we could be pushing towards a full squad for Paris.  Hopefully they can get their act together before next years all important qualification regatta. 

All our teams are still in it.

First time in history that we've sent such a huge team.

Men's single sculls

Men's pair

Men's double sculls

Men's four

Men's quadruple sculls

Women's quadruple sculls

Five of these boats are capable of fighting for Olympic qualification, so it's going to be nice seeing how they'll do in the next few years.

The women's quadruple sculls is on their first ever official race together, so they'll need time to mold, men's pair and men's four are still very young boats, but in good position to garner more experience.

Since all of our best women right now are all in on the new quadruple project, I'd imagine that we'll form a women's double and single sculls from our fairly talented youth rowers to send an even bigger team moving forward. 

Recap of Greek boats so far:

M1X: Ntouskos won his heat as expected, let's see how he does from here on. Anything less than a medal would be disappointing.

LM1X: Papakonstantinou won his heat as expected and I would be surprised if he doesn't take a medal. Need to get him a good partner for the LM2X so he can qualify to Paris. Perhaps Gkaidatzis who won gold at the European U23 Championships in LM1X just a few weeks ago. They already won gold together in LM2X at the 2019 European U23 Championships.

M2X: Kalandaridis/Palaiopanos made it to the quarterfinals and let's see what they can do. They both won a lot of medals in the youth categories but struggled so far in seniors, although their 5th place at last month's European Championships shows that they can make it to Paris.

LW1X: Fitsiou is not looking too great here after taking silver at the European Championships, although she did win her repechage to advance to the semifinals. I will be happy if she makes the A Final. 

W2X: Fragkou and Natsioula were disappointing finishing 5th in their heat. Still, they are 19 and 17 so they are young although I expected better from them as both won a bunch of gold medals in U23/U19 categories over the last two years. Hoping for an improved performance in the repechage which would see them qualify for the semifinals.

LW2X: Our girls are incredible. 20 yo Anastasiadou and 16 yo (!!!) Kontou finished 2nd in their heat and 1st in the repechage (beating Tokyo 2020 gold medalists Italy). That is amazing for their ages. I am not sure if they can win a medal but the first goal is to make the A Final. If they can make top 6 in 2022, I see now reason why they can't win a medal in Paris when they are older and more experienced. Let's see first how they do here though.

I'm disappointed we didn't send a women's pair. Bourmpou/Fragkou won gold at the World U23s and European U23s, but Bourmpou had to go back to Yale University for studies and we put Fragkou in the women's double. Argyraki/Asvesta who won gold at the World U19s and European U19s I guess are too young for this level.

Edited by Makedonas

Oh wow, our team is absolutely falling apart...

Three boats left in contention, but we already lost our 2022 European bronze medalists in double sculls and Olympic medalist Griškonis imploded as well. 

And it wasn't even close, both boats were uncharacteristically behind their competition. 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:51 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

Disappointing to see that Team GB are not fielding entries across all of the Olympic events. No Women's 8, Men's Double Sculls or Men's Lightweight Double Sculls.

Given the much improved performance of the team since the relative disaster of the Tokyo regatta, I had hoped that we could be pushing towards a full squad for Paris.  Hopefully they can get their act together before next years all important qualification regatta. 

And for some reason I think they will have some new explanation for why they couldn't get together next year. It looks like sabotage...

Hi all!

Poor day for :IRL today with 3 4th place finishes sending crews into the C/D semis. Only the new mens double will be particularly disappointed with that though. 

Of course our golden boys in the lightweight double won their quarter and Paul O’Donovan looks on course for a 5th successive gold medal at the world champs (two of them in the single)

On 9/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

Disappointed that GB didn't enter a women's eight and the same goes for NZ. With only six entries on the women's side I do worry about the future of this boat - and by extension the men's boat - in the Olympic programme. For me the eights are one of the blue riband events of the Games but I'm sure the IOC would be more than happy to get rid of an event involving so many athletes.

3 hours ago, RiderJake said:

And for some reason I think they will have some new explanation for why they couldn't get together next year. It looks like sabotage...

Hi all!

You mean like when the All Blacks lost to the Springboks in the 1995 WC final?