website statistics

Men's Baseball WBSC World Baseball Classic 2023

Totallympics

21 hours ago, NearPup said:

What a game. :GBR qualifies for the WBC for the very first time. I don't think it's overstating things to say this is the greatest moment in the history of British baseball.

You can argue that winning the  Baseball World Cup but beating the USA in 1938 might be bigger, but that was a tiny tournament compared to this

8 hours ago, owenp_23 said:

WBC Qualifiers are back next Friday in Panama. :NZL vs :BRA then :PAK vs :ARG.

I pick :PAN and :ARG to advance out of Pool B.

Panama is definitely the favourite but I think the 2nd spot will be a battle between Nicaragua and Brazil. Argentina isn't as strong as those 3 teams in my opinion.

September 21st Final Scores:

:CZE Czech Republic 3-1 Spain :ESP

Amazing run by the Czech Republic to qualify for their first WBC tournament after getting thrashed 21-7 by the same team they beat tonight! Even though I'm not sad they missed out, you do have to feel for Spain a little bit. They were two outs away from qualifying yesterday before Great Britain came back and then they lost again tonight. Reminds me a bit of the 2011 MLB World Series in game 6 between the St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers.

On another note, it hasn't officially been confirmed but I'm seeing from multiple sources that these are the updated pools.

:TWN Taichung :JPN Tokyo :USA Phoenix :USA Miami
Pool A Pool B Pool C Pool D
:CUB Cuba :AUS Australia :CAN Canada :DOM Dominican Republic
:GBR Great Britain :CHN China :COL Colombia :ISR Israel
:ITA Italy :CZE Czech Republic :MEX Mexico :PUR Puerto Rico
:NED Netherlands :JPN Japan :USA United States :VEN Venezuela
:TWN Taiwan :KOR South Korea :WHT TBD :WHT TBD

If this is true, then both Great Britain and Czech Republic have good chances of winning a game and staying in the tournament for 2026. Miami Marlins superstar Jazz Chisholm has already committed to playing for Great Britain which is a huge boost for them. The pool is pretty open so I wouldn't be surprised if they go on a surprise run like Israel did in 2017. Wins winning against Australia, Japan and South Korea will be almost impossible for the Czechs, they do have the luxury of being in a pool with China who in my opinion is the worst of the 16 pre-qualified teams.