website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2022 - 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, JonPhi said:

No 4: Tiril Eckhoff :NOR

This really saddens me. Struck super hard by COVID-19 and that basically has now cost her her career... :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This really saddens me. Struck super hard by COVID-19 and that basically has now cost her her career... :( 

I think Tiril's problems go way beyond her covid struggle...she has a long history of mental health issues.

I'm pretty sure they also have something to do with her career's end.

but we will never know...if there's something the Norwegian federation has done well, that's protecing their athletes' privacy when it comes to their health (no matter what's the real problem).

With Tiril and Marte done, Norway loses are big. But somehow I still think other nations are too far back to mount a serious challenge their top 5 spot. Next year should still be the usual Sweden, France, Italy, Germany, Norway fight for the top spots.

19 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think Tiril's problems go way beyond her covid struggle...she has a long history of mental health issues.

I'm pretty sure they also have something to do with her career's end.

but we will never know...if there's something the Norwegian federation has done well, that's protecing their athletes' privacy when it comes to their health (no matter what's the real problem).

But it's not a secret most of her problems of last year basically came from the COVID infection and the problems that came with that. One can imagine mental problems also arise when you start doubting if your body will ever be able to do what you want it to do again...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But it's not a secret most of her problems of last year basically came from the COVID infection and the problems that came with that. One can imagine mental problems also arise when you start doubting if your body will ever be able to do what you want it to do again...

surely the covid infection was where the avalanche started...

I really hope it's only a question of that, of not feeling herself competitive at the top level anymore and nothing more than that.

Wish her a super-happy life outside competitive racing.

1 hour ago, FireRun said:

With Tiril and Marte done, Norway loses are big. But somehow I still think other nations are too far back to mount a serious challenge their top 5 spot. Next year should still be the usual Sweden, France, Italy, Germany, Norway fight for the top spots.

You are probably right. Of course Belarus/Russia could challenge them, but i don't think those nations will be allowed to come back next season. In the women's nations cup the point difference between France in first (7713) and Italy in fifth (7210) is smaller than difference between Italy and Switzerland (6435) in 6th. Czech Republic/Ukraine/Belarus/Russia all used to be very competitive. In 2020/2021 Belarus/Russia/Ukraine were 5th/6th/7th in the nations cup and the Czech Republic was 5th in the nations cup last season. I think only the Czech Republic could break into the top 5, probably by replacing Norway/Germany. Sweden/France/Italy (unless Wierer retires) all have multiple athletes who can make the podium. Norway has a better number 1 option (Tandrevold) than Germany, but Germany probably has better depth/potential. I am not sure if Slovenia could be a surprise challenger, even Lampic breaking through might not be enough.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.