website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2022 - 2023

Totallympics

Definitely an exciting race until the last runner at the front. Of course, I was particularly thrilled by Eric Perrot, rapid fire all away :thumbup:. The Swedes again with big shooting problems in a relay.
Especially great, of course, that such small nations as Lithuania and Finland have achieved such top results here and even ended up ahead of Sweden.

sorry but this sport start to be really boring lately, no surprise the interest is declining...

Did not watch the individuals nor the mens relay earlier, was too busy, so I gave it a try for the relay of the ladies...but dear lord how this is boring..will need to find my strongest will to force myself to watch some races apart the world champs this season

1886b563171f10b58c7e9f601fddcc50_w200.gi

Don´t get me wrong, I do like biathlon, was always one of my fav winter sports, but I really feel like IBU will have to do something otherwise this will fall to the nordic skiing overall enthusiasm soon. A couple of years ago there were hundreds of posts, articles, news about biathlon everywhere, now it looks like nobody even care, which I can absolutely understand by watching this

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

Don´t get me wrong, I do like biathlon, was always one of my fav winter sports, but I really feel like IBU will have to do something otherwise this will fall to the nordic skiing overall enthusiasm soon. A couple of years ago there were hundreds of posts, articles, news about biathlon everywhere, now it looks like nobody even care, which I can absolutely understand by watching this

I think there are a few things going on here.  Without Belarus and Russia, there are two teams with multiple individuals who would be near the top of the races.  That would have made the women's relay more interesting.  

I think that a few things can be done to change some things.  Here are a few thoughts, some are rather radical.

1.  One the mixed relay, have a random draft.  People talk about the biathlon family, lets really see it in action.  1st leg by a Ukranian, 2nd by a Canadian, 3rd a Italian and 4th by a Kazakh.  That could be really interesting to watch.  It would be a unknown that is sure.

2.  Instead of a pursuit race, make it a reverse pursuit.  Take the top 30 and have #30 leave first, #29 5 sec later, etc.  Imagine the chaos on the tracks and in the range.

I know these things would need to be done on the IBU Cup first, but they could help.

20 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I think there are a few things going on here.  Without Belarus and Russia, there are two teams with multiple individuals who would be near the top of the races.  That would have made the women's relay more interesting.  

I think that a few things can be done to change some things.  Here are a few thoughts, some are rather radical.

1.  One the mixed relay, have a random draft.  People talk about the biathlon family, lets really see it in action.  1st leg by a Ukranian, 2nd by a Canadian, 3rd a Italian and 4th by a Kazakh.  That could be really interesting to watch.  It would be a unknown that is sure.

2.  Instead of a pursuit race, make it a reverse pursuit.  Take the top 30 and have #30 leave first, #29 5 sec later, etc.  Imagine the chaos on the tracks and in the range.

I know these things would need to be done on the IBU Cup first, but they could help.

I dunno. maybe it would be enough to change just something simpler.

try new venues, refresh this whole sport, I don´t know, refresh it somehow, maybe simplify the entries rules, attract more nations, today we had 17 womens relays starting, this is like a return to the 70s and everyone and their dogs knew from the start who will win and who will be on the TV screen for the whole race, I literally lost any excitement before even the race started and throughouth the whole race I felt completely bored..

Big nations have enormous advantages alreday before the race, IBU should work on more evening stuff behind the backstages and services, rich become richer, otherwise in a couple of years only a bunch of die hard fans will follow this sport just like it happened with Ski Jumping, NC and Cross-Country skiing. I don´t feel entertained now at all watching it...

Edited by hckošice