website statistics

Wrestling UWW Under 20 World Championships 2022

Totallympics

watching World U20 Championship in Bulgaria, it seems France is the new superpower in freestyle wrestling :d they will have 3 wrestlers in the semifinal later today , all 3 of them are a bit Russian though. (probably moved to France at younger age) looks like the whole Dagestan are moving to France,

13 minutes ago, MHSN said:

watching World U20 Championship in Bulgaria, it seems France is the new superpower in freestyle wrestling :d they will have 3 wrestlers in the semifinal later today , all 3 of them are a bit Russian though. (probably moved to France at younger age) looks like the whole Dagestan are moving to France,

yeah, they also did very well at the Cadets Worlds in Rome a few weeks ago...

today was the last day of World Juniors (U20) in Bulgaria. the most interesting is the host nation Bulgaria finished the competition empty-handed :hairpull:and in the men's competition (which I followed much more) none of their wrestlers were any good. Bulgaria used to be a powerhouse in this sport, they still had some good/great wrestlers until few years ago. this is just sad :(

it was a "good" tournament for Iran, wining both freestyle and Greco team titles with 7 gold medals overall. even though people will always question those medals because the strongest team in this sport, Russia wasn't there.

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

today was the last day of World Juniors (U20) in Bulgaria. the most interesting is the host nation Bulgaria finished the competition empty-handed :hairpull:and in the men's competition (which I followed much more) none of their wrestlers were any good. Bulgaria used to be a powerhouse in this sport, they still had some good/great wrestlers until few years ago. this is just sad :(

it was a "good" tournament for Iran, wining both freestyle and Greco team titles with 7 gold medals overall. even though people will always question those medals because the strongest team in this sport, Russia wasn't there.

Any Dutch guys? I remember one or two years ago suddenly we had some strong brothers :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Any Dutch guys? I remember one or two years ago suddenly we had some strong brothers :d 

yeah Sterkenburg brothers are not U20 anymore. they wrestled 2019, 2020 and 2021 in Junior competitions. it's time to face the big guys :d (still can wrestle at U23 too)

I don't think they are capable of winning Senior world medals right now but that's certainly possible in near future. they both moved to Olympic weights (87 and 97) already. it will take time to adjust to the new weight.

On 8/22/2022 at 4:54 AM, MHSN said:

Great job by Iran as usual ..... India did very well this time with 16 medals ( on total medal count the same as Iran but well behind on gold medal count ) ..... After following Indian wrestling for the last 20 years can see huge +ve trend in India , we used to average only 2-3 medals till five years ago ...... I personally thought Priya( 76 kg silver ) and reetika ( 72 kg bronze ) in women along with antim ( sole gold medal winner for India ) in the lower weight categories may soon definately start moving into the main team , also an  indian wrestler lost to Iran in the 125 free finals  , @MHSN do you feel he is good ? ..... 125 free we do not have any good wrestlers , i also thought Sagar jaglan in 74 is someone look for in future  ...... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

Great job by Iran as usual ..... India did very well this time with 16 medals ( on total medal count the same as Iran but well behind on gold medal count ) ..... After following Indian wrestling for the last 20 years can see huge +ve trend in India , we used to average only 2-3 medals till five years ago ...... I personally thought Priya( 76 kg silver ) and reetika ( 72 kg bronze ) in women along with antim ( sole gold medal winner for India ) in the lower weight categories may soon definately start moving into the main team , also an  indian wrestler lost to Iran in the 125 free finals  , @MHSN do you feel he is good ? ..... 125 free we do not have any good wrestlers , i also thought Sagar jaglan in 74 is someone look for in future  ...... 

we knew Iran has a strong junior team this time, actually we were expecting more from the freestyle team :d 5 of these guys are well-known wrestlers in senior level and 4 of them were in contention to make the senior team this year. yet only 2 of them managed to win the gold (we had a surprise gold medalist at 79kg too)

I watched most of the matches and I have to say in the Indian team I was more impressed by your 65 and 74kg guys. before the competition I would bet on Sujeet to win the 65kg gold, I'm following him for months and I think he can even beat Bajrang right now (or at least challenge him) really surprised he lost to Azerbaijan in the semifinal. to me that was just lack of analyze from the Indian side. Sujeet just didn't know how to deal with the Azerbaijani plan (attacking from the distance)

Sagar Jaglan surprised us by beating (and eliminating) one of our best chances, Erfan Elahi who won the junior title last year at 70kg (and was in the senior team and only lost 8-8 to the eventual world senior silver medalist) I just don't know how the hell Jagal lost his SF to Japan. :d he surely is someone to watch out.

about your 125kg, I know you are not that good in heavier weights, (which is surprising consider how tough Indian wrestlers in lighter weights) he is probably a better prospect than your current heavyweight guys but still he wasn't really "impressive" he was on the easier side of the draw. no shame in losing by superiority to Masoumi in the final. Masoumi is 2nd in our senior team ladder (only behind World Senior Champion Zare) but Mahendra also lost 10-0 to our reserve junior team guy at the Asian Championship. which means he still can't compete in senior level.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

we knew Iran has a strong junior team this time, actually we were expecting more from the freestyle team :d 5 of these guys are well-known wrestlers in senior level and 4 of them were in contention to make the senior team this year. yet only 2 of them managed to win the gold (we had a surprise gold medalist at 79kg too)

I watched most of the matches and I have to say in the Indian team I was more impressed by your 65 and 74kg guys. before the competition I would bet on Sujeet to win the 65kg gold, I'm following him for months and I think he can even beat Bajrang right now (or at least challenge him) really surprised he lost to Azerbaijan in the semifinal. to me that was just lack of analyze from the Indian side. Sujeet just didn't know how to deal with the Azerbaijani plan (attacking from the distance)

Sagar Jaglan surprised us by beating (and eliminating) one of our best chances, Erfan Elahi who won the junior title last year at 70kg (and was in the senior team and only lost 8-8 to the eventual world senior silver medalist) I just don't know how the hell Jagal lost his SF to Japan. :d he surely is someone to watch out.

about your 125kg, I know you are not that good in heavier weights, (which is surprising consider how tough Indian wrestlers in lighter weights) he is probably a better prospect than your current heavyweight guys but still he wasn't really "impressive" he was on the easier side of the draw. no shame in losing by superiority to Masoumi in the final. Masoumi is 2nd in our senior team ladder (only behind World Senior Champion Zare) but Mahendra also lost 10-0 to our reserve junior team guy at the Asian Championship. which means he still can't compete in senior level.

As usual you rock in your observations .... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi