website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2022

Totallympics

Seeds in Men's freestyle for the World Championships in Serbia

https://uww.org/article/freestyle-seeds-announced-22-world-championships

lots of top wrestlers are unseeded but this seeding shows what we should expect from the brackets. of course it can change even if one guy withdraws.

without Russia the team title is between USA and Iran. everybody talks about possible Yazdani/Taylor in 86kg final or Cox/Ghasempour in 92kg final but personally I'm more interested in Snyder/Mohammadian matchup, most probably in 97kg semifinal.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:53 AM, MHSN said:

lots of top wrestlers are unseeded but this seeding shows what we should expect from the brackets. of course it can change even if one guy withdraws.

without Russia the team title is between USA and Iran. everybody talks about possible Yazdani/Taylor in 86kg final or Cox/Ghasempour in 92kg final but personally I'm more interested in Snyder/Mohammadian matchup, most probably in 97kg semifinal.

Yes I am looking forward to all three matches in the higher weight categories though will miss the formidable sadulaev in 97 ...... And also am going to follow the giant Geno hopefully to gold in 125 ....but the Iranian  Zare can stop him ...... It is in the lower weights that India will do well .....

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

On 8/23/2022 at 12:53 AM, MHSN said:

Indian interests will be to see Ravi in 57 with ugaev absent i will be hoping to see gold in 57 ..... If he does it that will be huge our first gold since sushil at least 12 years ago i think ......

In 61 no indian in seeded 8 but still so much talent will be hoping for an upset but 

In 65 we except a sure medal with our oly bronze bajrang but he has not been in great form so will wait and see ....

In 70 i would say india maynot do well ...

In 74 we are still looking for a long term spotholder  

In 74 we have wealth of talent will not be suprised to have a suprise medal ...

In 79 gaurav baliyan has been touted as the next big thing in Indian wrestling would need to see if he is improving a medal prospect ....ranked 8th.....

In 86 Deepak punia is of course a big name , silver last time because of an easy draw in 2021 .... This time with with Taylor and yazdani in two halves no chance for him to get in the finals but yes chance of a medal ....

In  92 i was suprised to see viky ranked 5th .... @MHSN i did not think this guy was good but obviously has improved his ranking , would like your opinion on this 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Indian interests will be to see Ravi in 57 with ugaev absent i will be hoping to see gold in 57 ..... If he does it that will be huge our first gold since sushil at least 12 years ago i think ......

In 61 no indian in seeded 8 but still so much talent will be hoping for an upset but 

In 65 we except a sure medal with our oly bronze bajrang but he has not been in great form so will wait and see ....

In 70 i would say india maynot do well ...

In 74 we are still looking for a long term spotholder  

In 74 we have wealth of talent will not be suprised to have a suprise medal ...

In 79 gaurav baliyan has been touted as the next big thing in Indian wrestling would need to see if he is improving a medal prospect ....ranked 8th.....

In 86 Deepak punia is of course a big name , silver last time because of an easy draw in 2021 .... This time with with Taylor and yazdani in two halves no chance for him to get in the finals but yes chance of a medal ....

In  92 i was suprised to see viky ranked 5th .... @MHSN i did not think this guy was good but obviously has improved his ranking , would like your opinion on this 

UWW ranking doesn't really show the quality of wrestlers. some guys are ranked high only because they participated in more events. some better wrestlers are unseeded simply because they changed weight or took a quick break after the Olympics. Viky lost to some random Mongolian wrestlers at the Asian Champs, I don't think he is a medal candidate in Serbia. he has the same Mongolian guy and our World Champion Ghasempour on his side of the draw (and God knows how many other unseeded good wrestlers will fall in this side too)

I believe Ravi (57) is one of the favorites for gold, I expect to see him in the final against Gilman (USA) but there are couple other unseeded wrestlers (specially Abdullaev from UZB) who are capable of challenging Ravi. other 3 seeded guys in Ravi's side of the draw are no match for him.

it will be harder for Bajrang this time, he is aging and he has Tevanyan probably in QF. Bajrang lost a close match to our youngster Amouzad at the Asian Champs final and Amouzad is unseeded

86kg final will be between Taylor and Yazdani. everybody knows it. only an unexpected injury can prevent that from happening. Deepak has a chance for bronze but he has Amine (the same guy who beat him in Tokyo) on his side

who is your 61, 70 and 74 representative ? :mumble:61kg should be someone good

all of our predictions are based on the current seeding but we know this is not final. for example if guy #2 gets injured and doesn't come to Belgrade that will change the whole bracket.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

The Indian federation has said that barring bajrang , Ravi and Deepak for all other weights and for all women they will hold a new selection trial on 29th and 30th of aug so all the names except those three may change for India .... 

Only substantial thing in our team is that Biliyana Dudova won the spot for the coveted 62 kg against Taybe Yusein after the scandals this spring. This means, that Yusein, Olympic, 6 time World and 9 time European medalist is going to miss these Championships.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:58 PM, MHSN said:

UWW ranking doesn't really show the quality of wrestlers. some guys are ranked high only because they participated in more events. some better wrestlers are unseeded simply because they changed weight or took a quick break after the Olympics. Viky lost to some random Mongolian wrestlers at the Asian Champs, I don't think he is a medal candidate in Serbia. he has the same Mongolian guy and our World Champion Ghasempour on his side of the draw (and God knows how many other unseeded good wrestlers will fall in this side too)

I believe Ravi (57) is one of the favorites for gold, I expect to see him in the final against Gilman (USA) but there are couple other unseeded wrestlers (specially Abdullaev from UZB) who are capable of challenging Ravi. other 3 seeded guys in Ravi's side of the draw are no match for him.

it will be harder for Bajrang this time, he is aging and he has Tevanyan probably in QF. Bajrang lost a close match to our youngster Amouzad at the Asian Champs final and Amouzad is unseeded

86kg final will be between Taylor and Yazdani. everybody knows it. only an unexpected injury can prevent that from happening. Deepak has a chance for bronze but he has Amine (the same guy who beat him in Tokyo) on his side

who is your 61, 70 and 74 representative ? :mumble:61kg should be someone good

all of our predictions are based on the current seeding but we know this is not final. for example if guy #2 gets injured and doesn't come to Belgrade that will change the whole bracket.

Indian team finally finalised

Freestyle Team: Ravi Kumar Dahiya (57kg), Pankaj Malik (61kg), Bajrang Punia (65kg), Naveen Malik (70kg), Sagar Jaglan (74kg), Deepak Mirka (79kg), Deepak Punia (86kg), Vicky (92kg), Vicky Chahar (97kg), Dinesh Dhankar (125kg).

Greco Roman Team: Arjun Halakurki (55kg), Gyanender (60kg), Neeraj (63kg), Ashu (67kg), Vikas (72kg), Sachin (77kg), Harpreet Singh (82kg), Sunil Kumar (87kg), Deepanshu (97kg), Satish (130kg).

A few suprises.... Pankaj malik a relatively unknown wrestler defeated the feted rahul aware in final of the selection, surprised not to see gaurav baliyan in 79 FS... 

Vinesh Phogat, who completed a hat-trick of gold medals at the Commonwealth Games earlier this month, was up against newly-crowned U20 world champion Antim Panghal in the 53kg final. 

Vinesh Phogat won a bronze at the 2019 world championships and will seek her second medal at the 17th edition of the world championships to be held from September 10 to 18.

In the absence of Rio 2016 bronze medallist Sakshi Malik in the 62kg category, two-time cadet world champion Sonam Malik claimed the slot by defeating Manisha 2-1 in the final. 

Sonam Malik, 20, had bagged a silver medal at the recently-concluded U20 world championships but is yet to win a seniors medal . 

Sarita Mor, a world championships bronze medallist and the world no.1 in the 59kg weight division, sealed her spot in the 57kg by defeating Lalita 4-0 in the final.

Another worlds bronze medallist Pooja Dhanda, meanwhile, was stunned by Mansi Ahlawat with a 2-0 defeat and conceded the 59kg spot. 

Mansi Ahlawat, has been in top form this year and won gold at Almaty Ranking Series in June without losing a point in the championship.

Asian championships bronze medallist Sushma Shokeen pipped Pinky in the 55kg on the virtue of scoring the last point after the bout was tied 3-3. 

U20 world championships silver medallist Priyanka (76kg) and bronze winner Reetika (72kg) were among other names to make the cut for the world championships.