website statistics

Rowing at the European Championships 2022

Totallympics

Mixed championships for Greece so far.

Bourmpou/Fragkou into the final in the women's pair, but they have not looked convincing at all. I'd be shocked if they won a medal, which is disappointing as Bourmpou won bronze at the European Championships at the same boat class in 2020 as a 19 year old. Still, it was good for them to win the World U23 title this year and I'm sure they'll win the European U23 title in a few weeks' time.

Fitsiou into the final in the women's lightweight single. I don't expect a medal from her but this is her biggest final ever.

Anastasiadou competing in the women's single (!!!) after her partner Kontou had Covid and they had to pull out of the lightweight double. I'm not sure why they didn't just move Fitsiou to the lightweight double (as her and Anastasiadou have competed together in the past) or put Anastasiadou in the lightweight single (where she would 99% win a medal) and make Fitsiou go in the single (as she probably won't win a medal anyways). However, Anastasiadou is doing great, she won her heat defeating Gmelin and Foester which is really impressive considering she is only 20 yo and a lightweight rower.

Dalidou/Natsioula had to withdraw from the women's double because they got Covid. I was curious to see how they'd do at this level after winning the European juniors and World juniors and setting a World junior record. I guess we'll have to wait until next year, unless we put them in the World Championships but I guess the European U23s would be more likely (if they can recover by then).

Ntouskos won his heat in the men's single. It is his first big regatta since winning gold in Tokyo (he was supposed to compete in one of the World Cup events but he got Covid). The goal for him should be to just win a medal. His gold in Tokyo is his only senior medal so far, so it would be good to just get on the podium especially since he took a break after Tokyo so I had doubts as to his condition/form.

Papakonstantinou won his heat in the men's lightweight single by 13+ seconds. He'll definitely make the final and is a good chance for a medal. He disappeared a little after his U23 success, so I'm happy to see him back and doing well.

Kalandaridis/Palaiopanos finished 2nd in their heat in the men's double and advanced to the semifinal. I think the goal should be to make the final and I believe they will. A medal may be out of reach but both are still relatively young and the men's double is a very competitive event so no shame in that.

Disappointed to not see Stergiakas on this team after he came back to the sport last year and won gold with Palaiopanos in the men's double at the World U23s. I guess he disappeared again... 

What's pyramid scheme Herbalife doing as sponsor here? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

All six of our crews made the A Finals :thumbup:

Bourmpou/Fragkou finished 6th as expected.

Papakonstantinou looking like a lock to win a medal in the men's lightweight single.

Kalandaridis/Palaiopanos a pleasant surprise after they previously struggled in the men's category, they look like a 50/50 chance to win a medal.

Ntouskos I think is likely to win a medal too but not certain.

Even Fitsiou might win a medal.

I can't see Anastasiadou win a medal which is frustrating because if we put her in the lightweight single and stead of the single, she would've been the clear favourite to win gold...

Also interesting that Ahmet Rapi representing Sweden actually grew up in Greece. Never would have guessed it based on the name of course :yikes:

Damn what a final race of the championships :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Damn what a final race of the championships :yikes: 

Congratulations on the gold! I'm happy Ntouskos won the silver, but it's bittersweet as he was so close to gold. Still, it was Ntouskos' second medal at the senior level (his first was the Olympic gold last year), which is really good, especially since a particular German on this site was calling his gold last year suspicious...

The cameramen are embarrassing. They showed Foester (bronze) before Anastasiadou (silver) in the women's single which was annoying but I understood as Foester is German and this is in Germany.

However, they did not show Ntouskos' celebration once! They showed Vasilev (bronze) and Zeidler (4th) reacting after the finish line, but never once did we get to see Ntouskos' reaction/celebration. Absolutely shameful. If this was in Greece, I can't imagine what the Germans would say if we did not show their silver medalist but showed the bronze and 4th place...

I watch a lot of rowing and I've never seen them show the bronze medalist and 4th place but not the silver medalist...

Wow! What an end of this European Rowing championships. Never thought Melvin Twellaar could beat the amazing world champion Zeidler and the fantastic Olympic champion Ntouskos. And all that afther a convincing win for Karolien Florijn.