website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics LEN European Championships 2022

Totallympics

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Today the open water swimming starts, but the official timing page is rather...confusing. It says this in terms of schedule:

mebjrck.png

But also this:

Ew6sv8b.png

With the 'Mixed' meaning that women and men both start shortly after one another. So according to one schedule today is the women's 10k and after that the men's 5k, according to the other schedule - both of which are on the same official page - both the women and men have the 10k tomorrow, and at basically the same time.

What's going on and who is actually going to do what? :d 

I explained what's going on with open water swimming and the bad weather of a couple of days ago in the swimming at the european champs thread...:evil: ;)

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

I explained what's going on with open water swimming and the bad weather of a couple of days ago in the swimming at the european champs thread...:evil: ;)

Yeah, this thread, but I think I missed that because a lot of the sessions I had to watch with a delay, so then I didn't really look here :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Lithuanian swimming federation just shared a post with medal tables of recent swimming championships and it was nice to see that Lithuania has won medals in the last 5 European Aquatic championships, last time missing out in 2012. :)

Here's to hoping the next championships are going to be successful as well.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, phelps said:

yeah, that's a shame!

why?

he would have been the main show of the last day of the championships...

now the Germans might get a 1-2 in the race, if Auboeck doesn't perform at his best...I don't see the Italians having anything left in the tank to be among the main contenders...

more news...Florian Wellbrock pulled out from the Open Water Swimming races, he said he's too tired and not very well trained after the covid issues he had to face after the world champs...

From what I heard at news, he was too tired to swim in 400m final and he wants to be in good shape for World Junior Swimming Champs in Lima. Being a long distance to swim I guess he didn't wanted to risk. Sure, for us it's a shame that he retired but for him maybe is better. He knows better:d

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, this thread, but I think I missed that because a lot of the sessions I had to watch with a delay, so then I didn't really look here :p 

update on the Open Water Swimming situation...

due to the bad forecast for tomorrow, the races have been rescheduled (once again) for Saturday and Sunday only.

Saturday

the men and women's 5k will start at 10 a.m. local time (CET)

the men and women's 25k will start at 2 p.m. local time (CET)

Sunday

the men and women's 10k will start at 10 a.m. local time (CET)

the Team Relay (2*2*1.25k) has been definitively cancelled...:facepalm: :nopompom:

3 hours ago, phelps said:

due to the bad forecast for tomorrow, the races have been rescheduled (once again) for Saturday and Sunday only.

Saturday

Sunday

the Team Relay (2*2*1.25k) has been definitively cancelled...:facepalm: :nopompom:

And are lighting candles to the Intention of the Blessed Virgin, Stella Maris.

14 hours ago, phelps said:

Saturday

Sunday

This is exactly why it's a terrible idea to schedule open water for the last 4 days of the Championships... I hope both LEN and FINA learn from this debacle. Open water should always be scheduled for the first half of the event. 

21 minutes ago, Vektor said:

. Open water should always be scheduled for the first half of the event. 

That would mean losing out on all top pool distance swimmers. Which are the big names that make open water somewhat more interesting to a bigger audience.

+ would make pool swimming clashing with athletics for more days in this case.

3 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

That would mean losing out on all top pool distance swimmers. Which are the big names that make open water somewhat more interesting to a bigger audience.

Wellbrock had no issue with winning the 10km open water first and then winning 1500m in the second week at the 2019 WCh.

Not to mention that we have always had the open water in the first half of these aquatics championships, this ridiculous schedule has only been used at this years World and European Championships and only took two of these events for the weather to fuck it all up. 

5 hours ago, Vektor said:

This is exactly why it's a terrible idea to schedule open water for the last 4 days of the Championships... I hope both LEN and FINA learn from this debacle. Open water should always be scheduled for the first half of the event. 

tbh, bad weather is the last problem you can imagine to have in Central/Southern Italy in August...

this time we can really blame only the bad luck...5 days of bad weather in 5 months...and it's just when the Open Water Swimming Europeans were supposed to be held...

for what concerns the schedule, there's always some reason behind it...in Rome, they wanted to avoid the most possible chance for swimming and football to colllide, as the stadium is in the same area of the pools (and tennis courts) and when football plays, there are always a lot of traffic problems (not to mention those idiots making a mess around football games, which is always possible)...