website statistics

Athletics WA Under 20 World Championships 2022

Totallympics

Big drama in Greece regarding our women's pole vault selections. Alina-Amalia Florou-Dimitriadou had the best result this year (4.16m) but Anastasia Retsa (4.15m) and European U18 champion Iliana Triantafyllou (4.15m) got chosen ahead of her.

Retsa won the U20 National Championships so it makes sense, and she finished 4th at the last U20 World Championships.

Florou-Dimitriadou (who is the most consistent of the three) finished second at the U20 National Championships, but Triantafyllou who finished third at the U20 National Championships got selected ahead of her.

Personally I think whoever didn't get selected would've felt robbed, but I think Florou-Dimitriadou should've been chosen ahead of Triantafyllou. If the National U20 Championships count for the selection then that should be made more clear. Especially since Triantafyllou is still U18, she could've sat this one out as she'll have another chance in the future.

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Big drama in Greece regarding our women's pole vault selections. Alina-Amalia Florou-Dimitriadou had the best result this year (4.16m) but Anastasia Retsa (4.15m) and European U18 champion Iliana Triantafyllou (4.15m) got chosen ahead of her.

Retsa won the U20 National Championships so it makes sense, and she finished 4th at the last U20 World Championships.

Florou-Dimitriadou (who is the most consistent of the three) finished second at the U20 National Championships, but Triantafyllou who finished third at the U20 National Championships got selected ahead of her.

Personally I think whoever didn't get selected would've felt robbed, but I think Florou-Dimitriadou should've been chosen ahead of Triantafyllou. If the National U20 Championships count for the selection then that should be made more clear. Especially since Triantafyllou is still U18, she could've sat this one out as she'll have another chance in the future.

Why is this even a discussion when they could've sent all three?

Two quota limiter per event is only in u18 level.

Perhaps Dimitriadou couldn't be selected, because she's unvaccinated? That's how we had to keep some of ours at home.

Super small team for Lithuania with no ambitions for semi-finals or finals, so I guess PB chasing is the game for our team here.

Women:

100m - Andrė Ožechauskaitė (one of the more promising athletes, but recovering from an injury this season and far from her best times)

100m Hurdles - Gabija Klimukaitė (recovering from an injury as well, hasn't gone under 14s this season still)

400m Hurdles - Ema Sarafinaitė, Gerda Kirkytė (both don't have a full year of competitive experience running the hurdles, they have promise, it's just impossible to expect miracles here)

Discus Throw - Paulina Stuglytė (she was also breaking every Lithuanian youth record, but this season she is going only backwards)

Men:

400m - Lukas Sutkus (consistently breaking his PB, but still far away from the best here in these championships, going to be a threat next year in EU u20)

Shot Put - Rokas Domanaitis (jumped into the qualification train at the very last qualifying event, throws very consistently, but not far enough for final qualification)

Sarafinaitė, Kirkytė, Sutkus, Stuglytė should look good next year, this year I guess I can just be happy that they qualified and are gaining valuable experience. Kirkytė already had a long season, was not far off U18 final.

Neda Lasickaitė (100m Hurdles) and Aurėja Beniušytė (Triple Jump) both landed qualifications just after the qualification process was over.

1 hour ago, Werloc said:

Why is this even a discussion when they could've sent all three?

Two quota limiter per event is only in u18 level.

Perhaps Dimitriadou couldn't be selected, because she's unvaccinated? That's how we had to keep some of ours at home.

The Greek athletics federation either chose to send only two or is so stupid that they don't know you can send more than two (which is also a strong possibility). For example we have four with the standard in the men's hammer, but only two are going. Also four in the men's discus, but only two are going. No drama in those events because our two best are clearly better than the others who didn't get selected.

She is likely vaccinated because she is leaving next month to go study in the United States. Also her and her coach filed a complaint against the federation for her not being selected, so if she was unvaccinated I'm sure they wouldn't have done that.

6 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

The Greek athletics federation either chose to send only two or is so stupid that they don't know you can send more than two (which is also a strong possibility). For example we have four with the standard in the men's hammer, but only two are going. Also four in the men's discus, but only two are going. No drama in those events because our two best are clearly better than the others who didn't get selected.

She is likely vaccinated because she is leaving next month to go study in the United States. Also her and her coach filed a complaint against the federation for her not being selected, so if she was unvaccinated I'm sure they wouldn't have done that.

Suffering from success, I see :lol:

We had only three moments in history where Lithuania had overqualified in athletics. European U18 championships three girls had the high jump standard, 5 women with qualifying marks in 20km Race Walk 2016 Olympics and 5 women marathon runners in either 2012 or 2016 summer Olympics, I can't recall which :p 

12 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Suffering from success, I see :lol:

We had only three moments in history where Lithuania had overqualified in athletics. European U18 championships three girls had the high jump standard, 5 women with qualifying marks in 20km Race Walk 2016 Olympics and 5 women marathon runners in either 2012 or 2016 summer Olympics, I can't recall which :p 

It often happens for us in these junior competitions, but for the Olympics probably not since 2004.

I have a feeling we will have issues with the women's race walk for Paris, especially if we can't qualify in the mixed 35km event (we only have one good man but many good women, some of them will miss out and be very unhappy).

5 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

It often happens for us in these junior competitions, but for the Olympics probably not since 2004.

I have a feeling we will have issues with the women's race walk for Paris, especially if we can't qualify in the mixed 35km event (we only have one good man but many good women, some of them will miss out and be very unhappy).

I think we're going to have heaps of trouble with race walk, because a lot of our walkers retired and many are at the retirement age, we should still manage for Paris, but I don't know what's going to happen to the men's team after that, because no talented young men at all recently, only women are showing promise in all age categories. 

Poland have send 38 athletes including U-18 European champions Marek Zakrzewski (100m) and Michał Gawenda (pole vault).

However Kornelia Lesiewicz who won 400m silver in last year's edition in Nairobi will only take part in 4x400 relay & mixed as her SB is over two seconds slower than PB from 2021.