Totallympics

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, they’re unique...

BE68A203-7CAB-411C-BF12-0380C0B11513.jpeg

Oh fuck, I just realized this is probably an April Fools joke. Now it makes a lot more sense why the media weren’t given any materials on this ?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So I’ve been on sprint break all week, which has basically meant I watch a few videos and spend the rest of my days updating my results collection (as well as my “cool shit” collection (things like spectator guides, posters, random artwork, mascots, etc.). This week I’ve managed to archive the results from the 2015 Pan Am Games, 2010 and 2013 CISM Winter Military Games, 2012 Winter YOG, and half of the 2015 Parapan American Games (before web archive decided to take a giant puke on itself). Now I’m working on the 2010 Summer YOG, and it’s so funny to see how far we’ve come in ten years. First off there’s no mention of “urban” sports. Plus, the website was actually geared education, having fun, etc. (instead of being a stereotypical multi-sports website like Lausanne2020). But the thing that caught my attention the most was the section for 2010 YOG Mascot MSN emoticons :d. We’ve really come a long ways just based off that. To be honest, I’m not even quite sure what MSN is...(but I know it was popular when I was younger).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@intoronto ITG is reporting that Hamilton has become the preferred Commonwealth Games bid candidate for Canada! Now they’ll decide rather to go for 2026 or 2030. Personally I prefer 2030 for very obvious reasons (the first edition of the games were held there 100 years earlier), so hopefully that’s what they go with.

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@intoronto ITG is reporting that Hamilton has become the preferred Commonwealth Games bid candidate for Canada! Now they’ll decide rather to go for 2026 or 2030. Personally I prefer 2030 for very obvious reasons (the first edition of the games were held there 100 years earlier), so hopefully that’s what they go with.

2026 would also not be preferred I would assume. World Cup 2026 will be here and without a doubt all the media attention will go there.

I don’t know if anyone can answer this question, but was there any other documents besides Start List/Result available for the 2010 YOG. We talk about terrible results systems all the time, but there wasn’t even one for Singapore2010. There was just some PDFs posted to website, which is less than ideal. I just want to know if there was more available, or if that’s what I have to work with?

Another one bites the dust...

My guess is that these games might not happen, but we’ll see. Either way, the period running from July 2021 to November 2022 is going to be jam packed with big events. There’s just going to be multi-sport games after multi-sport games in the 2020-2024 cycle :d

This year, and half of next year, will suck, but then it will get epic quickly. I’m actually really beginning to like the schedule, even if it’s messed up my plans quite a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t have high hopes for this, but at least they’re still trying to have them.

I need some advice/feedback/suggestions on my collection. As y’all know I’ve been collecting results for all the international multi-sports games, and my collection has grown significantly. I’m to the point where I only have 3/4 games left to curate (realistically). I’ve actually begin collecting maps, posters, spectator guides, newsletters, broadcast schedules, and whatnot as well. I’m sure there’s elegant way to ask the questions I have, but all I think of is: What now?

I mean what should I do? My original goal was to build up a collection for myself to enjoy, but then I got rather serious about it, and I revised my goal into making my collection public. The problem is that I don’t think I have the infrastructure to do that. At this point, I’m setting on 7GB of data, which isn’t a lot in fairness, but I actually have somewhere in the realm of 25GB (most likely more) of data that I’d love to share. I would try upload my collection to the Totallympics Media website or the Totallympics Results website, but I’m pretty sure I would A - crash the websites, B - reduce the openness of the collections, C - it would cost a fortune (I don’t actually know, but I’m assuming) D - the collection would probably be poorly maintained. So what should I do?

I’m terms of what I envision, I want there to be a place where people can go to learn about and research all the international multi-sports games. Everything would be open, anyone could contribute, and goal would be gain as much information as possible. It would follow the model of the Olympic Library and others like it. 

Much of the stuff in my collection is somewhat available online, some of it is practically exclusive at this point (and some of it probably will be in the future). I just don’t want my work to go to waste. There needs to be some type of end, so that I don’t go crazy or get depressed that all of my work was for nothing. 

Hopefully this post makes some sort of sense. I’m open to all suggestions, ideas, advice, guidance, etc. I encourage people to give their opinions. I just want help.