website statistics

Equestrian FEI World Championships 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Briliant ride for Adrienne Lyle. Most of all it's her freestyle program that's good (Bruce Springsteen and Working Girl).

Kind of astonishing how the Americans always outclass the snoozefest Europeans in terms of programs they present.

#banbestmen

Medalists repeat their medals from the special. Top 2 got really inflated, considering neither has a true piaffe.

Vamos Amigos' piaffe can be classified as passage on spot (which is the main reason why Bohemian was more ready for these championships), but then again, Glamourdale trails his legs. I remember these kinds of piaffes getting 7.5 at most as recently as in Tokyo, but there you go, today Glamourdale got 7.7-8.3.

At least Dinja van Liere got away with bronze today with a much cleaner test. Pitty for Werndl & Famoso who really impressed here. Famoso is a definition of a "happy athlete" (the term FEI really likes).

Adrienne Lyle & Salvino were the most fun to watch this evening for me personally. :yes I have really enjoyed Werndl's African-themed program too.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Medalists repeat their medals from the special. Top 2 got really inflated, considering neither has a true piaffe.

Vamos Amigos' piaffe can be classified as passage on spot (which is the main reason why Bohemian was more ready for these championships), but then again, Glamourdale trails his legs. I remember these kinds of piaffes getting 7.5 at most as recently as in Tokyo, but there you go, today Glamourdale got 7.7-8.3.

At least Dinja van Liere got away with bronze today with a much cleaner test. Pitty for Werndl & Famoso who really impressed here. Famoso is a definition of a "happy athlete" (the term FEI really likes).

Adrienne Lyle & Salvino were the most fun to watch this evening for me personally. :yes I have really enjoyed Werndl's African-themed program too.

OK @dcro I'd like your opinion on this.

Yesterday I was talking to somebody to somebody who lives 1km from me and who used to compete at a good national level in dressage.

She told me that judges from the English speaking world will never give high marks to German and Dutch riders with links to the RollKur method of training (like, for example, Werth) dressage horses because they believe it is cruel to the horses. Do you believe this is true?

Edited by Dragon
spelling mistake

10 minutes ago, Dragon said:

OK @dcro I'd like your opinion on this.

Yesterday I was talking to somebody to somebody who lives 1km from me and who used to compete at a good national level in dressage.

She told me that judges from the English speaking world will never give high marks to German and Dutch riders with links to the RollKur method of training (like, for example, Werth) dressage horses because they believe it is cruel to the horses. Do you believe this is true?

It's a sensitive subject and please leave Werth out of this. She was never in that bracket. Also - the English speaking judges are no different than other ones. That seems like a large misconception.

With few exceptions here and there, rollkur is almost exclusively associated with the Netherlands. But that is somewhat understandable, given that Anky van Grunsven was the highest profile rider criticized for it, and yet she was showered with medals back in the day. And by understandable, I mean it's only natural that people are trying to follow the champion's ways, especially when that champion was also their countrywoman.

Things have changed and there are no longer tense, over-bent horses winning medals.

#banbestmen

Yeah, that statement about English speaking judges really bugged me so I had to check.

When Isabell Werth took the Special World title in 2018, with the astronomic score of 86.246% (nobody has scored as highly since), it was the British judge who awarded it by far the highest mark (over 89%).

So yeah, maybe that someone is not being very objective about judging patterns. :p

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Yeah, that statement about English speaking judges really bugged me so I had to check.

When Isabell Werth took the Special World title in 2018, with the astronomic score of 86.246% (nobody has scored as highly since), it was the British judge who awarded it by far the highest mark (over 89%).

So yeah, maybe that someone is not being very objective about judging patterns. :p

I will never claim to be a dressage expert. I am only relying on what was told to me.

One more thing though, you say Anky van Grunsven was the highest profile rider criticized for Rollkur, my friend said Bonfire was probably the best dressage horse ever but her next superstar, Salinero, was ridiculously overrated. Do you agree or is that unfair?