website statistics

Athletics EAA Under 18 European Championships 2022

Totallympics

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Some drama in women's LJ. Spain's Martinez won bronze medal on countback over Chakarova but Bulgaria filed a protest the second best jump was a foul and after more protests it was decided both :ESP and :BUL get a medal :p

Very poor life lesson for 18 year olds.  Neither should get a medal - Spain for cheating & Bulgaria for complaining.  :spank:

On 7/6/2022 at 10:52 PM, Grassmarket said:

Nowadays the best thing that can happen to a young athlete is to get a solid scholarship deal from a good NCAA school like, in his case, Oregon.

Do you mean the best thing for their athletic development or for their personal gain?

I feel like a spot in the national training center in Papendal is still the best thing that can happen for Dutch talents. Many talents also combine living in the training center with university studies in nearby Nijmegen or Wageningen. Financially I guess a scholarship offers more though.

Saved on the final day, Orinta Navikaitė with a huge PB managed to sneak the bronze medal in javelin throw being 22nd in overall ranking before the start of these championships.

She has been breaking all the Lithuanian youth records along her way for the past two years now, interesting prospect for sure and is training with the first coach of ECH bronze medalist and Lithuanian record holder Liveta Jasiūnaitė.

2 hours ago, Jinzha said:

Do you mean the best thing for their athletic development or for their personal gain?

I feel like a spot in the national training center in Papendal is still the best thing that can happen for Dutch talents. Many talents also combine living in the training center with university studies in nearby Nijmegen or Wageningen. Financially I guess a scholarship offers more though.

Well, I’m sure that’s true - Papendal is emerging as the best centre in Europe, For other countries….

Not the best championships for us with only 2 medals, although Cyprus winning 4 made it better for us :d

Gold for :GRE Iliana Triantafyllou in the pole vault was pretty cool. I can't remember anyone else aside from Stefanidi and Kyriakopoulou winning any important medals for us in the women's pole vault, so hopefully this is the first of many for her as the other two are in their 30s and won't be around much longer.

Triantafyllou also has a pretty cool story, she's from a small remote village with a few hundred residents that doesn't have any athletic facilities and she has to travel 40 mins to a training venue, and people in her village all support her and help her.