website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

• 4 months later...

Well, it was good while it lasted, the Liu brother will chance their nationality, they won't race under the :HUN flag anymore. It's not official which country they will chose, but it's pretty obvious that :CHN finally got them. I honestly thought that this will happen before Beijing 2022, so I am just glad that we had them for this long and won 2 gold medals with them. It is what it is, Hungarian short track will never ever be as successful as it was with them. I doubt that we will see any Hungarian medals at the Winter Games in the near future. 

Edit: Congrats @Vic Liu, you will have an even stronger short track team if they will indeed go to your country. 

Edited by Vektor

Also this is a very obvious sign: Hungarian sport is dying. The entire country is dying, Orbán has run to the ground and that will have consequences. We won't be able to sustain our sport because we aren't even able to sustain our own country. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if more Hungarian athletes will change nationality, we have lost the Liu brothers in short track and Rapport in chess, this feels like only the beginning. Honestly, @heywoodu, watch out for Vas changing nationality in a few years because Hungarian cycling will be one of the earliest to go down. And that's just an example. 

Edited by Vektor

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Well, it was good while it lasted, the Liu brother will chance their nationality, they won't race under the :HUN flag anymore. It's not official which country they will chose, but it's pretty obvious that :CHN finally got them. I honestly thought that this will happen before Beijing 2022, so I am just glad that we had them for this long and won 2 gold medals with them. It is what it is, Hungarian short track will never ever be as successful as it was with them. I doubt that we will see any Hungarian medals at the Winter Games in the near future. 

Edit: Congrats @Vic Liu, you will have an even stronger short track team if they will indeed go to your country. 

I am quite shock to hear about this. At least it's never reported in China even no discussion about the possibility and feasibility. Well I respect their choice in either way and I will update the progress if I see any news from China side.

Edited in 1 hour: News goes fast. Chinese fans also noticed this shocking news through the IG account below. Don't know how trustworthy it is yet. It's too good to be true still.

Edited by Vic Liu

4 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

I am quite shock to hear about this. At least it's never reported in China even no discussion about the possibility and feasibility. Well I respect their choice in either way and I will update the progress if I see any news from China side.

Edited in 1 hour: News goes fast. Chinese fans also noticed this shocking news through the IG account below. Don't know how trustworthy it is yet. It's too good to be true still.

I posted about it a few weeks ago in the World Cup thread. Seeing the website I found the article on, I would have expected that more sources reported on it in China.

5 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I posted about it a few weeks ago in the World Cup thread. Seeing the website I found the article on, I would have expected that more sources reported on it in China.

I didn’t notice this news before but Chinese short track fans always knew this. Liu Brothers trained in China before so no one link this to naturalization and thought they just kept training with familiar coach Zhang Jing. Until today the possible naturalization become big news.

Here’s meme image of Chinese fans reaction:

All rivals becoming teammates

CFECF2E3-3E29-44B7-9F1B-755CD7B1FB31.jpeg