website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

This sucks so bad. I mean, equal distances is fantastic and since that was the headline, I was super excited for roughly one minute....until seeing the actual distances :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, Swewi said:

FIS decided that the women Will now race the same distances as the men!

Actually, men will now race the same distances as women.

WTF. 15km Interval was super fine - you had to manage your energy well or start fast and hope noone overtake you at last round. Had some dramatic plot twists and story.  10km will be just longer sprint. Boring! :facepalm:

Also there will be change of the World Cup Point table. Probably more athlets will get awarded with points. :yes

• Ruka (FIN): Sprint C / 10km Individual C / 20km Pursuit F
  • Lillehammer (NOR): 10km Individual F / Sprint F / 20km Skiathlon
  • Beitostolen (NOR): Sprint C / 10km Individual C / 4x5km Mixed Relay
  • Davos (SUI): Sprint F / 20km Individual F

• Val Müstair (SUI): Sprint F / 10km Pursuit C
  • Oberstdorf (GER): 10km Individual C / 20km Pursuit F
  • Val Di Fiemme (ITA): Sprint C / 15km Mass Start C / Final Climb F

• Milano (ITA): Sprint F / Team Sprint F
  • Les Rousses (FRA): 10km Individual F / Sprint C / 20km Mass Start C
  • Toblach (ITA): Sprint F / 10km Individual F / 4x7.5km Relay

• Holmenkollen (NOR): 50km Mass Start F
  • Drammen (NOR): Sprint C
  • Falun (SWE): 10km Individual C / Sprint F / 4x5km Mixed Relay
  • Tallinn (EST): Sprint F
  • Lahti (FIN): Mixed Team Sprint F / Sprint C / 20km Mass Start C

2 hours ago, Swewi said:

I don't understand. Thought the distances was decided but now I read it will be decided for world cup today. And appearently 88% of the WC women are against this.

I would assume and hope they are in favour of equal distances, but by letting them do the same as the men do, instead of basically the other way around? It can not at all feel great to have your international federation basically tell you "you women are not physically capable of distances men are capable of" straight in your face, and bring it as something great.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 months later...

Meanwhile the South American season is well underway, with Argentinian championships in Cerro Catedral at the moment. Sunday there was the classic distance race, but that can be discarded at least in the women's category: the main athlete wasn't there, and it was only juniors.

Yesterday Ceci Dominguez did participate in the freestyle distance race and she won the title there, which is nice to see after the whole drama around the Olympics, where she - despite being quite clearly the best Argentinian - was snubbed by the federation.

Main thing though, as far as I know it is the first time ever a women's race in South America goes under 100 points for the winner!

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=CC&raceid=41391

That is a fairly big deal when keeping an eye out for the Olympics, because hello A-criteria and so the right to compete in every single individual event in Cortina. I know someone who is not going to skip the South American snow races in the upcoming years, when recovered enough to compete :d