website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Sad for the sport with Lampic leaving. Good that Nilsson left for biathlon. Would be too much Swedish dominance in womens sprint without russians, Falla and Lalpoc, especially with Svahn back..

New distances:

• Sprint
  • 10km Individual/Mass Start
  • 20km Individual
  • 20km Skiathlon
  • 50km Mass Start

World Cup 2022/2023

• Ruka (FIN)
  • Lillehammer (NOR)
  • Beitostolen (NOR)
  • Davos (SUI)
  • Tour de Ski (Val Mustair (SUI), Oberstdorf (GER), Val Di Fiemme (ITA))
  • Milano (ITA)
  • Les Rousses (FRA)
  • Toblach (ITA)
  • WCH Planica (SLO)
  • Drammen (NOR)
  • Holmenkollen (NOR)
  • Falun (SWE)
  • Tallinn (EST)
  • Lahti (FIN)

So having the women run the same distances as the men, is de facto meaning "we will lower the distances for the men".

Of course they weren't stupid enough to kill the 50 km, because that would be suicide for them, even though i am sure they are secretly dreaming of dropping it to 30km, like they did at the Olympics.. But still there are only 2 such races every season, so they could turn a blind eye. 

So we have the next best thing, shorten the Skiathlon from 30km to 20km and the middle distance individual from 15km to 10km, because that single 20km looks very odd to me. I can't picture them having 20km distance races every week for both men and women, it's 95% always going to be 10km ones. Because we can have a 50km women's race, but we can't upgrade them from 10km to just do 15 km ones, that would be just preposterous. Let alone a 30km Skiathlon, no no, no one has TV time for that.