website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

4 hours ago, phelps said:

Going to Albania??? (I mean, I could understand if she goes to Austria, Switzerland or another skiing powerhouse in search of a better and more competitive team, but c'mon, man! Albania???!!!)

I knew there's something wrong in our Wintersports Federation, but that's really scary (and humiliating)...

So the whole family seemingly was given a passport today (some Albanian politician is announcing the girl as a chance for Albania to get an Olympic champion) and Ceccarelli is the new boss of the Albanian alpine skiing team -  money, a private team for her girl with her family running the whole show and to make her compete among seniors immediately are the reasons, I don't see why the Italian federation, which is not exactly the worst of the world in term of current results, should let a 15yo (even a possible future champion) and her megalomaniac family dictate the conditions to compete as Italian.

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

So the whole family seemingly was given a passport today (some Albanian politician is announcing the girl as a chance for Albania to get an Olympic champion) and Ceccarelli is the new boss of the Albanian alpine skiing team -  money, a private team for her girl with her family running the whole show and to make her compete among seniors immediately are the reasons, I don't see why the Italian federation, which is not exactly the worst of the world in term of current results, should let a 15yo (even a possible future champion) and her megalomaniac family dictate the conditions to compete as Italian.

I wouldn't let her family dictate anything, but at the same time in cases like this the keywords should be "compromise, reasonable concessions, eye of reguard"...

surely, looking at Lara's results, she shouldn't be treated like "many others", because it's clear that she's not like "many others" (actually, we don't even have "many others", I fear)...

for sure, there's no way that a serious and responsible federation is going to lose a talent like that (according to all those who have seen her skiing) because of a stupid "pride issue"/megalomaniac mom & dad...

3 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Yeah...that makes the whole thing seem like not exactly a sympathetic family to cheer for. Can't really blame the 15 year old child for that part, so if she's really that good (which of course remains to be seen in terms of senior level) I'd be very interested to see it, but judging on this, that does indeed sound like a bit of a megalomaniac clan.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah...that makes the whole thing seem like not exactly a sympathetic family to cheer for. Can't really blame the 15 year old child for that part, so if she's really that good (which of course remains to be seen in terms of senior level) I'd be very interested to see it, but judging on this, that does indeed sound like a bit of a megalomaniac clan.

This "15 year old child" is posing Adidas-sponsored swimwear pics on her IG. A quick look around indicates she signed some swimwear promo deals when she was 14yo already. I have a feeling signora Ceccarelli wants to monetize her daughter to the extreme here for lack of a better word. It also seems like she maybe asked for a preferential treatment for her daughter and the Italian federation didn't want that to happen. So they bailed to Albania of all countries :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

How about a team event where one does a slalom on one ski and the other shoots a ski jumper with a paintball gun?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks I missed the info but Livio Magoni is apparently now the coach of Katharina Liensberger

• 2 weeks later...

Adriana Jelinkova, who was the first :NED female alpine skier at the Olympics since 1952 has switched federations and will now represent :CZE. The reason given is a lack of support from the Dutch Ski Federation (NSkiV) and the Dutch NOC. 

:facepalm:@ the Dutch federations.

She was born in :CZE, but moved to the Netherlands at a young age. She won a bronze medal at the YOG in 2012 and her best result in the World Cup event was a 10th place in 2021/2022.