website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Adriana Jelinkova, who was the first :NED female alpine skier at the Olympics since 1952 has switched federations and will now represent :CZE. The reason given is a lack of support from the Dutch Ski Federation (NSkiV) and the Dutch NOC. 

:facepalm:@ the Dutch federations.

Unfortunately it is the same with every big Olympic country now. The Dutch NOC have calculated they have more medal chances with their nationally-ranked 12th speed skater than with their No 1 skier or bobsledder or biathlete.

• 4 weeks later...

So... Three months after firing his first and only coach, Filip Zubčić has finally hired a new one.

Some Russian dude Sergey Komarov. Career highlight is 22nd place from 2002 Salt Lake City... in the combined... out of 25 finishers.

Previously coached Russian women, Bulgarian men and Polish men. So, yeah, absolutely zero experience with skiers who have climbed WC podiums. :lol:

This just seems like a ludicrous decision. I think Zubo is not coming back ever after this. :wacko:

#banbestmen

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this news has made it big elsewhere, but last week UK Sport announced it is removing funding for alpine and nordic skiing in the next Olympic cycle to 2026. They have offered a minimal amount, but it is nowhere near enough to sustain elite programmes for GB at a global level.

As a British ski racing fan, I can't describe how disappointing and nonsensical this is. In the last decade, British ski racing has gone from virtually invisible to World Cup podiums & points on a regular basis. Dave Ryding became our first ever World Cup winner last season and, although he is likely to retire after next season, there's a huge amount of new talent in the pipelines - Raposo, Major, Taylor, Tilley and Guest all scored points last year.

Without funding, Britain might not even be able to send teams to compete on the World Cup next season. We're praying on UK Sport reversing their decision or a very rich person's benevolence.

As an addition, UK Sport's method of allocating funding is utterly ridiculous and needs to be changed. It gave us a short term boost of medals in recent years but I don't think it's a viable long term strategy. Funding decisions are short-sighted and based almost entirely on performances on one day every four years at the Olympics.

I've noticed how UK governing bodies have suddenly moved off the "medal at all cost" policy ever since the Varnish case went to court (and cycling culture started the snowball effect) but some winter sports are getting cut off the money too and I'm unsure what is the reason for that other than not wanting to waste funds on sports that aren't likely to be first choice medal options but it's clearly killing depth & future prospects. It's not like rowing will lose funds though? :p Maybe some British posters can pinpoint the details of such change of policy? @Grassmarket

I think this is the end of the Olympic legacy...

now that the Olympic hype is dead and gone over any media, they're back supporting and funding basically only their traditional sports, where they know they can make the headlines on regular basis and the sponsors are always willing to invest...

the obscure, unknown sports that lived on the Olympic enthusiasm and don't represent a good investment for media and sponsors now are back to the tough old days...

tbh, I think they've been very good in keeping the attention high on those disciplines for quite a long time after the end of London 2012...most Nations hosting the Olympics are happy to leave "secondary" sports in their respective Countries to their own destiny the day after the end of the Home Games (and some other Nations don't even try to develop the "minor" sports...any reference to Italy is purely intentional :facepalm: :wall:)...

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, NearPup said:

It is being reported that this will be the last year :CAN Lake Louise will be on the World Cup circuit.

What the hell :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Two-time Olympic medalist Katharina Gallhuber seriously injured yesterday her knee during training in Argentina.

According to the APA agency, the Austrian skier has torn ligaments in her left knee, the exact diagnosis will be however determined by doctors after her return from South America at a clinic in Innsbruck. Gallhuber, who also seriously injured her knee in 2018, underwent the necessary surgery today in Argentina.

• 2 weeks later...

:JPN Akira Sasaki is back after 8 years of retirement and has won Argentine National Championships + South American Cup race in Chile :coffee:

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&competitorid=53684&raceid=114044

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&competitorid=53684&raceid=113863