website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Competition Schedule Road to Paris 2024

7 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Yes, it is like basketball tournament in Tokyo, sb wrote about it here few months ago.

Another stupid change in olympic "core event" format. Ehhh...

it's different, that was the original idea with 52 matches, now it's 48 with probably a new format

22 minutes ago, MHSN said:

how come volleyball has 48 matches ? (24 for each gender) it doesn't make sense. if we count 8 matches for knockout rounds, how we can have a preliminary round with 16 matches ? even with 3 groups of 4 it should be 18

what I am missing here ? only 6 teams advance to the knockout round ?

They didn't list the bronze and gold medal matches.  There are 36 preliminary round games (so it's likely the 3 groups of 4 format from basketball).  4 QF for each gender, 2 SF.  Dates and times for the rest are TBD

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They didn't list the bronze and gold medal matches.  There are 36 preliminary round games (so it's likely the 3 groups of 4 format from basketball).  4 QF for each gender, 2 SF.  Dates and times for the rest are TBD

thanks, now it makes sense

still a terrible format though :d

23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

thanks, now it makes sense

still a terrible format though :d

Yea,  I don't get it either.  Makes sense for basketball where asking teams to play multiple days in a row is a tough ask.  Not so much with volleyball.  And now instead of sessions including 2 games, your ticket only gets you 1.

18 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yea,  I don't get it either.  Makes sense for basketball where asking teams to play multiple days in a row is a tough ask.  Not so much with volleyball.  And now instead of sessions including 2 games, your ticket only gets you 1.

volleyball has always had a problem with the lenght of the matches...most sessions in the previous olympics have gone way beyond the scheduled time...

so, they wanted to have longer time slots for each match and less matches in total in the preliminary rounds (using 2 different venues was never an option)...

p.s. just to explain...personally, I don't like this new format at all...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

volleyball has always had a problem with the lenght of the matches...most sessions in the previous olympics have gone way beyond the scheduled time...

so, they wanted to have longer time slots for each match and less matches in total in the preliminary rounds (using 2 different venues was never an option)...

p.s. just to explain...personally, I don't like this new format at all...

It's a fair point.  I know volleyball is a lot like tennis that way where a match can be relatively short or run really long.  I'm old enough that I remember volleyball in the Olympics before rally scoring, so I can only imagine how long some matches took then.  And I do remember the start of some matches from Tokyo delayed because the previous match ran long.  So if that's no longer an issue, then perhaps this has some value, even if it means fewer games being played

No boxing finals on the last day of the Games.... last time that happened was LA 1984 Olympics.

Time to read through the schedule in detail to see what day Ireland might win their first medal..... as always, not an easy task.... like finding a needle in a haystack :d

6 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

No boxing finals on the last day of the Games.... last time that happened was LA 1984 Olympics.

Time to read through the schedule in detail to see what day Ireland might win their first medal..... as always, not an easy task.... like finding a needle in a haystack :d

Were you around for the W 400 IM in 1996?